HybridZ

Is the '81 Turbo EFI really all that bad?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I just found this out recently, that the turbo donor car my mechanic is swapping my motor from is an '81. I know I've read a few things on these boards, mostly regarding how the ignition is triggered, that suggest that the '81 is problematic, compared to '82-83. Now that I know I'm endind up with the '81 EFI, I wonder, is this something I should worry about? Besides the ignition, are there any other inherent problems with the '81 system? How common are the ignition problems? How difficult is it to solve any of the problems that will come with the '81 system?

The only electrical difference between the '81 and '82-'83 is the crank angle sensor. On the '81 it is mounted off the crank pulley, and incorporated into the distributor on all later models. The separate CAS is reputed to be unreliable. Otherwise, AFAIK, the motors and all else are the same.

Guest bastaad525

is it true that this can be remedied by removing the crank angle sensor and just swapping to an '82 distributor? I called the mechanic right now, he says he can switch to the '82 setup for an extra $100. Is it worth it?

is it true that this can be remedied by removing the crank angle sensor and just swapping to an '82 distributor? I called the mechanic right now, he says he can switch to the '82 setup for an extra $100. Is it worth it?

True, dat. It's not worth $100 though, it's plug and play. I picked up a spare distributor off eBay for $15. I sold it already, but keep your eyes open, they are not that expensive.

:? I asked the same question about the 81 cas and the 82-83 dizzy swap, and you guys told me that it wouldn't work with the 81 ECU because of the number of teeth on the sensor wheel at the balancer being different than the teeth on the dizzy mounted wheel??????????????????????????

the 81 harness and ecu are just like the 82-83 my cps died on my set up and i swapped an 83 cps in but it's not a direct swap or plug and play.I had to take the ring off the bottom of both dists and swap it from one to the other unless you swap the shaft that goes to the oil pump.I like the 83 cps better it's much easier to adjust and nothing can get into it and break it like a rock.The shafts are different one is smooth with the ring and the other on the 83 is splined and won't fit in the 81 motor.

didn't mean to sound snotty or anything nathan just didn't want anyone to get the stuff and be disapointed :) I had to do some modding to make it work, but it will work if you don't mind cobbling :).I also had to move my spark plug wires one location over cuz the 83 cps lines up in a different location than the 81.I always heard that it was a direct swap and to my suprise it wasn't just wanted to pass the knowledge;)

Guest bastaad525

I went ahead and told the mechanic to just swap completely over to the '82 setup. I've heard that they are also more self contained than the '81, but either way I dont want to take any risks with that CAS, so just get it done right off the bat and be done with it.

:? I asked the same question about the 81 cas and the 82-83 dizzy swap, and you guys told me that it wouldn't work with the 81 ECU because of the number of teeth on the sensor wheel at the balancer being different than the teeth on the dizzy mounted wheel??????????????????????????

From when I recall looking at the wiring pinouts, the 81 wiring, computer, and timing are different. You would need to change the wiring around with an 82-83 "upgraded" setup, get the distributor, and ignition setup.

You would probably only need the mini EFI wiring portion of the harness but I'm not sure. The 82-83 wiring harness is "more self contained" as I hear it described.

O.K.- I have a complete 81 setup motor and all. I would only need to get an 83 distributor to swap to dizzy cas? Or do I need the 82-83 computer as you have it in your setup? Also I would like to do the 300ZX AFM swap, would all this cause too much conflict in the wiring and melt the poor ECU?? lol

I dunno about the 300afm but for the cas you can use the 81 ecu they are the same.But you'll need to make the 83 diz work with your engine either make it work like i did or swap out the whole oil pump shaft to the 83 one.I'd say use the stock 81 cas until it quits mine lasted two years and i think leaving it in a box all winter with a bunch of junk killed mine.Maybe dropping it too might have shortened it's life but the 83 unit is much nicer :D