HybridZ

Need a body seal seldom talked about! Hatch hinge seals?

Guest Slvrhase

Guest Slvrhase

I need the rubber boot type seals that seal the hinge pockets for the hatch. Mine were shot after sitting for 15 years unused in the Oklahoma heat, the only reason there was any rust on my car. Wasn't sure if Nissan carries them new or what everyone is doing about them. Any info would be appreciated. Finally got my car painted, now I've got to get it put together.

Thanks!

Guest Slvrhase

Ok, cybersanford doesn't show them, MSA & VB don't list them in their catalog's, and Nissan dealer is not really sure of anything. He might be able to order me a hinge that might possibly have the part I need, maybe. Only $54.00 per side, bought at the time of order, no garuntee it has the part, mine either way. I guess I'll have to find good used ones?? Anybody else have any ideas?

Guest Slvrhase

Actually I kinda felt dumb asking about them. I thought it would be a common replacement item. 30 year old rubber can't be in to good of condition! I actually thought about molding something in fiberglass or some sort of rubber, but figured that would take more time and effort than just buying them. Guess I was wrong!

Once I pulled my hatch off in prep for paint I noticed that there was a big hole in the rubber seal, just inside where the hinge mounts. I had looked for a replacement part, but no luck. I plan to treat the metal showing and POR-15 the opening. Should seal out any weather and keep cancer from collecting. The hinge will cover almost anything behind it. I must admit, I think POR-15 is one of the few companies that will keep my Z around for years to come.