HybridZ

Calling Paint Experts

Nismo280zEd

I had a bad experience w/ Sherwin Williams that led to a cracked paint job due to a laquer base that wasn't epoxy coated (which they conviently lacked telling me). Finally two of the cracks have split threw the clear so it's time to repaint.

I don't have a week to dismantle and paint every piece as a did before. This is my daily driver. I live in Texas where it get's very hot and rains every other day just about. I need a primer that i can use that won't absorb the rain.

I plan on shavn' the bumper and doing some glass work on the back and i just need something that will protect it till i put the color on.

All suggestions are welcome

-Ed

What you need to use is a "primer-sealer" (sometimes called just a sealer). I like the PPG brand. It has a semigloss finish and wet sands very nicely.

Epoxy primer also will block moisture, but it's more expensive (two part system typically) and you need to use an air respirator.

Remember, make sure any primer you use is compatible with your topcoats!

the sherwin williams paint cracked about a week later seemed like the more sun it got the more cracks apeared.. just looked crackled for a while then they got bigger.. now 2 years later a couple finally broke through.

And yes.. i use nothing but PPG now as well. But i have been told due to the older type paint underneath i have to either strip to bare metal or use an epoxy sealer over it.

In which case.. woudln't clear coat work as a sealer? it's epoxy based.