HybridZ

LT1 VS. LS1

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay which engine would be the best for..

1. cost

2. Availability

3. Forced Induction friendy

4. Reliability

5. Stroker motor

Thanks Kenneth K.

Guest Your Car is Slow

1. cost LT1

2. Availability LT1

3. Forced Induction friendy LT1

4. Reliability LS1 (if it werent for the opti...LT1 would win here too)

5. Stroker motor LT1

an all aluminum block will never be a better choice when making serious horsepower.

You forgot performance potential. Give that one to the LS1 for better flowing heads.

You also forgot availablity (from a cost perpsective) of performance parts. Give that one to the LT1 also.

Ease of installation: LT1

Ability to be certified as a smog legal swap: LT1 (pre OBDII models)

The LT1's are cheaper, but the T56 transmissions for the LS1's cost less. The cost issue will become more of a push as the availability of LT1's continues to diminish and used LS1's get cheaper. I would imagine performance parts will come more in line also.

Don't forget working on LS1's requires special tools. Many of the bottom end bolts are use once items requiring a degree tool instead of a torque wrench.

Guest Your Car is Slow
You forgot performance potential. Give that one to the LS1 for better flowing heads

Thats a loaded question. As for performance potential...the POTENTIAL hp of an LT1 far exceeds the potential hp of an LS1 by nearly double. (back to that aluminum thing)

Agreed, very loaded statement. Depends upon one's idea of "better".

But there are some very real differences in the head design on the two engines. Check out this thread, and look at Mudge's posts

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19398&highlight=ls1

My comments on "potential" were based on his statements about streetable HP (another loaded term).

The LS6 produces 405 very streetable HP in part because the better head design means better flow with less cam.

Another thread with some usefull info

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20677&highlight=ls1

You can also take a stock LS1, upgrade the injectors & PCM, and add a procharge and have a very streetable 500 RWHP. If you want to bore, stroke, twin boost an iron block motor you can have a very real 1,200 HP. Depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend. That's how we beat the Russians in the cold war - we outspent them!

I'm not picky! If anyones got one lying around for free, I'd be glad to take either one off your hands :D Seiously I would love an LS1 with a procharger but I would love an LT1 stroker with a small shot...so many choices :D

Mike

Guest m35514h
I'm not picky! If anyones got one lying around for free' date=' I'd be glad to take either one off your hands :D Seiously I would love an LS1 with a procharger but I would love an LT1 stroker with a small shot...so many choices :D

Mike[/quote']

uh oh are you thinking of a different swap

Lets not forget the truck line of LS1's, iron blocks from 4.2l,5.3l to 6 litter bored and stroked out 427 cu in 's, SCed or Turboed to make who knows how much HP. IMHO give me the LS1 or give me death. I truly believe the LS1 and the 240Z were made for each other, just 25 years sepperared them!! :shock:

Guest empracing

an all aluminum block will never be a better choice when making serious horsepower. !!!!?

500ci kb 6000+hp all aluminum motor

but as for ls1 vs lt1 ide prefer a lt4/1 but its a personal thing probably could make a truck ls1 go just as well for not much more untill they make a "REAL" racing ls1 block that is