HybridZ

How do I get another car in here???

dsommer

I’ve got a dilemma here guys and your input would be greatly appreciated.

I recently got remarried (7/28/03) and moved into her house, she let me bring the Z over only under the condition I would “drive†it over not trailer it over (her house is in a nice REALLY nice neighborhood) she let me have the 3rd bay of the garage for the Z, my tools, compressor, work bench etc. I put up new shelving and have tried to organize everything so I can work and have a functional garage.

We have been consolidating 2 households over the past several months and I have my former home sold (closing this Friday).

Here’s the dilemma, I want another car, not a Z, I’ve got one of those. I want a turn key collector, I have found a 78 Trans Am with fewer than 40K original miles that I can pick up at a reasonable price. I don’t want to keep it forever I guess I just want to get it out of my system. Along with that I still have my 24ft. boat w/454@ the lake and a 02 Dodge Ram 4X4 quad cab (daily driver) plus her car 03 Honda Pilot. There isn’t enough room for another car, friends don’t have room either. Store it costs $$ every month. I haven’t approached her on the subject YET but feel it would be a battle and I don’t want to have the marriage start out on the wrong foot, but at the same time it’s driving me up the wall to be able to afford something I’ve always wanted (A 1978 Trans Am was my first car and an 86 was my second) and not be able to get it. Your thougths???

ds

Guest Big Phil

If your garage is tall enough buy a car lift. You can use it to work on or ride and then use it to stack one car on top of the other. I know it sounds expensive but it isn't too bad. A complete lift cost $2000 to $4000 and it will easily fit the standard garage. I plan on buying one for my garage in order to fit my Audi TT, Datsun 510 and V8 280Z in a two car garage. Several companies make them, here is a link to one company called double parked.

http://www.doublepark.net/

What about renting a storage space for the boat, or the T/A? It will mean maybe $50 a month extra......

You just got married and already scared of rocking the boat? Hmmmm......surely she knows of your passion for cars, and agreed to put up with it by marrying you? Seems like a rocky beginning.....

Tim

Park all the running vehicles outside and take over the garage for the collectables/workshop. Marriage is a series of compromises, for both sides. Tell her she is not losing a garage, but gaining a very happy husband.

Another option is to buy a run down house with a nice garage. All of the non-running vehicles go there, along with the boat and workshop.

As Thoreau once said, we are possessed by our possessions. No way around it, that many toys are going to cost some money to own. It doesn't sound like you are hurting for money.

Hell I’ll just drop it on her after I close on my house over the weekend. If it creates too much static I’ll drop the idea for now and take a wait and see stance. Part of this stems from having the Z’s interior gutted and not driving it for a few months. The engine is in runs great, but just kind of ran out of time here in the midst of summer. With the pending sale of my house, moving all the junk out of it, add to that two weeks National Guard training that I just got back from yesterday, PLUS it is summer so I’ve got to justify owning a boat by using it.

Jim all the running cars are outside already the only car in the garage is the Z, like I said we’re consolidating 2 households so guess where all the “good extra stuff†goes yep, in the garage…anybody out there need a toaster oven? We've got darn near two of everything. Get a run down house and the “toys†may disappear overnight :shock: .

Phil I like the carlift idea, but we’re planning on moving in a year or two so perhaps the next house…

Tim240Z it’s not like “thatâ€. We’re not having a rocky start, come on she helped me pull the dash out of the Z for the sound deadener install and Autometer gauges, she's a real trooper. She had cable TV installed in the garage so I could watch TV while I work on the car or she could watch it while watching me work on the car or well what ever. She likes power tools and she trys to stay away from my tool box. I told her she could use what ever she wanted to just return it to its proper place, which she is kind of slacking on but no big deal because if it comes up missing I'll rant rave and go buy a new one just as long as it doesn't cost too much.

ds

she helped me pull the dash out of the Z for the sound deadener install and Autometer gauges' date=' she's a real trooper. She had cable TV installed in the garage so I could watch TV while I work on the car or she could watch it while watching me work on the car or well what ever. She likes power tools and she trys to stay away from my tool box.

ds[/quote']

Does she have a sister?

Guest subdermal
Phil I like the carlift idea' date=' but we’re planning on moving in a year or two so perhaps the next house…

[/quote']

They're portable. You can even get wheels to move them around the garage on :-D

I just installed a two post above ground lift in my garage. it really wasn`t hard, and I think it would be pretty easy to take down and move.

But, you could just buy another one for your new house. Just think how easy your house would be to sell with a lift already installed. :wink: and, you`ll be the envy of every guy in the neighborhood.

Well I dropped the bomb Friday after work... It didn't help at all that she had out patient surgury(sp) that day. So she didn't think it was too good of an idea so I came up with plant two. Sink some $$ in to my 02 4X4 quadcab Dodge. I'm going with a nice stereo package (2-10's) and all new speakers and amp then get a 4" lift with some nice tires and wheels. I guess I'm just missing my Z because the move over to her house (I can barely see the Z because all my junk from my house is here now) So I gotta get on the cleaning of the garage and get it straightened out again so I can get the Z interior back in. I'm sure losing the T/A is a good thing, I'll check her again later on that issue.

ds

Guest rick458

Having you cars in the garage feels very good

and saves much wear and tear on interior

and paint etc...

plus halves your chances of hails damages and

bird hoopie

My cars have lived in the garage since we bought this house 11 years ago