HybridZ

well still screwed doing the strut section/coilover install

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

well i cant find a shop that will section my struts and install/weld my coilovers on. i called lots of shops and a few didnt even know anything about it. and one was arguing with me telling me you cant do it, and blah blah blah..

anybody knows anybody around tampa florida that can do this?

i dont trust myself doing this.

thanks

mike

Guest cbrunberg

Mike, Glad to see you got them apart. How did you finally do it? How's everything with the family? As for the sectioning the have seen a few post where poeple said they would do it, try a search. Also call the coil over co. to see if they can recommend someone.

Carl

Guest ON3GO

hey.. me and my dad are doing good now.

im gonna keep the car too.

i got the gland nut off, and also got the knuckles and steering rack out too :).

now i just have to do the strut sectioning and coilovers and then put everything back together and im set.

i gotta find somebody to do it.. ill do a search and look around.

anybody have any ideas though?

thanks

I second the vote to find a race car fabrication shop. You might be able to find a welder that will do it but I would be more comfortable with a fab shop. If all else fails I can hook you up with someone in Orlando.

For the shops that say it can't be done you can show them the Ground Control installation instructions. The instructions can be found with the post the other day that pointed you to the Energy Suspension instructions.

I know the owner of a small welding / fab shop that is an ex chasis fabricator. I'm sure he would do it for you. The shop is Custom Welding by Law and the owners name is John Law, no kidding. His phone number is (407) 843-0061. I know him through work so if you call tell him that Jeff with The Nassal Company told you to call.

Mabye you are looking in the wrong places to get it done. Have a look for general engineering shops . Really easy to find them here, but i am rural and farmers are always having things made fixed and modified. I get the feeling that the mod car seen this days is going bolt on and people are forgetting how to fabricate. Coil overs are pretty easy to do.

Douglas

FYI...

Its critical that the cuts on the strut are perfectly perpendicular to the tube centerline. A big Lathe is the best but a big pipe cutter works well too. Be scared if someone uses a band saw (unless there's a GREAT vice on the saw). Be terrified if someone uses a chop saw. If the tube is not reassembled perfectly straight (which is totally dependent on the cuts), inserts won't go in and definately won't come out and you'll concentrate stresses at the focus of the bend.

You can fudge a bit by putting an alignment tube inside the strut tube that is a close fit to the strut tube ID. That can hold it in alignment for tack welding. Just maek sure the aligning tube doesn't get welded into the strut tube.