HybridZ

300z cv disassembly?????

stony

Ok i did this once with a friend who has done it 1000 times about a year ago. but for some reason cant remember how it comes apart and i dont want to break anything. heres the deal.... i knowticed as the axles were being removed that they were the wrong length. after further inspection i found that the guys that rebuilt them did it wrong. long story short i have to swap the inner cv and diff input shaft around to get the shafts on the sides they need to be on. i remember there is a big really easy to removed retaining clip on the outboard side but i cant see anything on the inboard side. whats the trick do they just get hammered off or is there a retained on that side to. so there is no confusion these axles are from a 88 z31 300zx. this is the only thing holding me up from putting the car back on the road. they will fit and work fine its just the idea of one being fully compressed and the other fully extended that is kinda disturbing ;>

Stony if your talking about birfield type, not tripod type, it goes like this.

Put halfshaft vertically in vice with joint to be removed at the bottom, remove bands and slide boot up out of the way. Using two pieces of cloth wrap one around boot so you dont lose or contaminate grease, wrap the other around joint for the same reason. Now "ring" the shaft 3 or 4 times with steel hammer to centre circlip.

Now the book says gently tap joint with rubber or neoprene mallet but the ones Ive done have taken a good sharp rap. If you dont have soft mallet use a piece of wood between joint and steel hammer. Best to have something underneath to catch it so you dont damage the joint shaft.

Pity they got mixed up at reco. Good luck Neil

i believe you have the tripod type. correct me if i'm wrong. the ones from the na z31s are the only ones i haven't taken apart. to me they look similar to the ones off of the 280zxt with the 6 bolt flange on the wheel end.here is a picture.

album_pic.php?pic_id=502

if they are the same as the 280zxt ones you may be in trouble because i destroyed the metal sleeve, the one that holds the boot on the diff end, to get the assembly apart only to find that the tripod is staked onto the shaft on both ends.

they are the z31 turbo ones in the picture you posted... and if i understand correctly these just basically get hammered off? no clips to remove? fro some reason i remember these just kinda snapping back together.

ok. if they are the turbo ones then it is really easy. there is only a metal ring on the shaft that is holding the inner onto the shaft. the way i got them off was to keep the whole shaft together and put the unit into my work bench with the inner cv on top of the bench then i tightened up the bench until the inner cv could not fall through the gap. i then lifted up the shaft till the outer cv hit the underside of the bench and then slammed it down. you don't need much force and you have to keep in mind that when the inner cv pops out it doesn't roll off the bench and hit the floor. does that make sense? :?