HybridZ

Roller cam for 5.0

Mudge

The first year for the roller cam was 85, the first year for fuel injection was 86, the first year for Mass Air was 1988(87 in california).

If you are shopping for a 5.0L, an 87 is fine, but I would convert it to mass air. I prefer the 88-90 motors because they are already mass air, and they have forged pistons(they switched to hypereutectic in 91).

Great info, thanks :)

So the 86 is SD (speed density) then I take it instead of MAF. I was planning to start with a carbed setup but I am an EFI lover, so if I can get it all in one fell swoop I guess I just need to make sure I get a donor car, or get the wiring harness.

Is there a relatively easy way to know which vehicles got the aluminum heads/intake? I am going to assume all injected Mustangs had aluminum heads, but probably the other passenger cars did not(?)

Sorry,

None of the 5.0L came factory with aluminum heads. I am using Edelbrock heads on mine. If I had it to do over, I would use AFR heads(the Edelbrock heads are great, the AFR are better).

Stay away from the 1986 motor. The piston have odd / no valve reliefs and are incompatable with aftermarket cams / heads. Plus the fuel injection on the 86 was known for its problems. Get an 88 - 93 motor.