HybridZ

If you've ever run your ZT w/o muffler please chime in here!

Guest bastaad525

I will use the cast stock downpipe flange like Jersey did. The only other flange will be where the new downpipe an 3 inch exhaust connect together. I would rather put a flange there so it will be easier in the future to remove the exhaust to upgrade things. If not I will just weld it all together, it just makes it harder to remove the entire pipe when the downpipe section is also welded on, since I don't have a car lift and only jack stands, my room to work under the car is severely limited.

Guest szlash280z

I was going to remove my muffler on my car, just to see if there was any improvment and how loud it would be, but the PO had the whole 2.25 system welded together from the exhaust downpipe back. bummer huh? I was also going to do that to my corolla while changing my brakes on it, just unbolt the muffler and see if it got any more go ponies and to see if the ricers are just wasting their time like I think they are. but I forgot to do it by the time I got my brakes back together.

Has anyone found a T3 output flange that they can buy seperately, instead of cuttong the cast iron stock one off the stock downpipe? I'd be interested in getting a SS one, but can't find one...

My machinist made one up for the 3.5 inch downpipe. Here is a pic:

fc248ee0.jpg

Tim

Guest bastaad525

szlash 280z - $350 to do a press bent exhaust system??? You are getting RIPPED my friend! When I installed the N/A 2.9 engine in my 240, with just the open header on it, the muffler shop I went to made and installed everything after the header, 2.5" press bent, for $60. I brought my own muffler but had I not I figure it'd have been at most another $100 (I wouldn't have gotten anything fancy on there). So basically $60 for labor and the piping from the header back. You need to shop around. Now that I know you can buy short sections of mandrel bent pipe for like $20-30 a section, figure I would have needed two, I could have had the whole thing done with mandrel bends for like $250.

Guest szlash280z

man, you guys have some cheap muffler guys, that one that was $350 was insane. I have a shop lined up for $150 for the 3" system, no muffler (all they had was Mohatma RICE). but that was the best I could do around here, unless everyone was lying to me about prices.

the shop I will take it to had a pretty good guy, very helpful. He had confidence which is what all the other places here didn't have. good customer service is a bonus with me.

Guest bastaad525

I had the muffler shop install an extension off the downpipe today, run it to about where the diff is and point it down... I'm not sure but I think it actually made the car louder :( for the record... the thing is too loud w/o a muffler :) see what I get for cutting corners? Well I could imagine some people may like it, it sounds like a V8, and is definately acceptable volume for, say, not breaking any laws. But it's too loud for me... alas I am stuck with it until some more $$$ comes my way....

Guest bastaad525

Horrible, no and no. It starts right up, seems to idle fine, though a bit high at about 900rpm. It bogs really badly and feels like it has no torque until about 3000rpm... I guess that's when the turbo comes on or at least it feels like it though my boost gauge reads 7psi almost instantly after I floor it. Even after 3k though it seems to lose the torque very quickly and just run out of steam. If I jab the throttle when at idle it coughs or sputters, and sometimes backfires. If I get on it, then shift, it coughs when I floor it again. It feels like it's running way too rich, but I checked the plugs and they didn't look it, no or very little black sooty deposits, instead there was a coating of greyish white ashy looking stuff on them, covering the electrodes and the grounds... never seen that before... I'm really pissed and I can't take the car back to the guy until who knows when... and the worse part is I can't afford to be w/o my car for another length of time and I dont think this is something he's gonna be able to figure out and fix in one day.

someone should reply to this soon.... it has been too long since I was regularly working on cars.... but that ashy particulate is not a good sign, just cant remember what that would be caused by. I am certain someone will reply soon with the exact diagnosis.... perhaps pointing to exactly what your mech did wrong, or left incomplete =(

Wishing the best for you dude, I always want to do the same conversion, never had the funds and the donor at the same time = ) that may be changing soon though. I think a turbo convertible 240Z would be the shiznitz = )

tannji

Guest bastaad525

yeah Drax I thought of timing too but I guess you tell timing differently on the turbo motor, there's no notch on the pulley to tell TDC like there was on my N/A motor. I am taking the car back to the mechanic this morning, he works from home so he works weekends (begrudgingly though :-P) and I'm gonna be outta town for the weekend so it's not big loss to me. I do have my other thread about this if there's anyone wants to read up on exactly what it's doing and give a prognosis that'd be great :)

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24373

there's the thread.