HybridZ

#648 1969 240 advice

ZR8ED

Hey all.

I was just offered a chance at a 69 240z Chassis # 648.

I helped a good friend work on this car 12 years ago... It has seen the road 6 or 7 times.. and I have driven it 4 of them. car has been in a garage the whole time.

It was painted.. new floors (hand made..not too well..16 guage..but we were drinking while doing it) hehehe

new body job with fibre glass front end/flares, custom side intake/vents/custom rear moulded in bumper etc... electric emerald green. visually the car looks good.

8 point chromemoly cage, upgraded suspension..lightly modded. stock brakes

15x7 alloy 5 star cheviot rims/ with new (10 year old rubber) (nice looking)

engine has rebuilt webers on it. and the engine is very strong 2.8 etc...200+ hp.

exhaust stops at the headers.

wiring mostly works..but is very butchered..lots of 12 guage house wire in it.. etc...

most of the interior is in it, and in average condition.. dash is more or less ok..new harnesses stock seats, new electric fuel pump.etc...

I'm looking for some opinions.. As long as it finds a good home, I can do what ever I want with it. keep it and drive it sell it... can't scrap it...

what do ya think?.. he's looking for $2K+

car was originally a show car back in the late 70's.. been sitting around mostly since then...

I think you would be nuts not to buy it. I would not butcher it, though. It is a shame that it wasn't left stock. Such an old example would be a cool example of what an original Z looked and performed like. It sounds like it isn't a bad deal. Hell, if you don't buy it I sure would think about it. 8)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I hate reading posts like this as they agitate a number of my repressed personalities and undo years of group therapy. BUY THE CAR NOW. Once in your possession there are a number of things you can do...most will put purists into therapy, some might make you money (and perhaps give you a chance to see the inside of some correctional institution).

Plan #1: carefully drill out all rivits, spot welds and such in the firewall. Remove it carefully and carefully remove each VIN tag. Offer entire package to the world on EBay as the necessary parts to upgrade, big time, the value of someone's 1970 or early '71 Z. The success of this ploy is entirely dependant upon the ability of the "cloner" to make factory stock spot welds.

Plan #2: Take good photos of the car showing the low number, all modifications to the car and a clear close up of you (do NOT show your face) wielding a sawzall to whack the VIN out of the firwall, off the dash, and off the door sill. Write a short blurb talking about how you found this item cold stone stock and turned it into a drag car: post this with photos on every other "Z" web site you can find.... use your brother in law's name, address, and URL.

Plan #3: Clean it up and do it right. Keep the V8, the roll bar and everything else that looks good.....but do it right...take your time. Show it as a very early VIN car. Personally, I think every series I Z should be "conserved" and kept on the road.

Finally, I envy you a bit. I looked for three years for a Series I Z to stuff with a SBC. They are unique. I like their looks, they're light, and they are a conversation piece at any get together. Very few people have the experience of actually locating a "rare" car and seeing those numbers.

z

Well I'm not a purist, my Z's have been pretty highly modified, past the point of no return, but if I had a low VIN# Z, I'd certainly try to keep it stock. I'm all for cutting and chopping the ones that are easy to find, or have previous damage, but I'd still hate to see all the origional Z's off the road, cause they were a pretty sweet car stock too.

I'd get it, and keep it 'legal'. 648 isn't that low a number... we have 48 and 129? in my club here... I'd suspect that a lot of the low VIN #'s are still around.

The # isn't all that low, but low enough to be in the group of hand built 240's.

Yea it is a shame the car was butchered...but it was Way beyond butchered before my friend got it.

oh yea.. it also has the dual sunroof, and a whale tale.

I'm still thinking about it.. I have some serious money to spend on my own z right now..plus I have a cool set of 16" alloys (my set of epsilons still for sale) that I could put on the really set the car off.

Hehehe my girlfriend asked if it might be suitable for her to drive!

anyone want to make me some kind of a deal?..I"ll do trades...

The car is not so far modded that it could not be restored to original...at least NOS.

The triple webers are worth something on their own, i suppose.. I could swap on a set of SU's I have and use the money to offset the cost...

hmmm...

oh man I am nuts....

Are you serious about selling it? Pics? Rust anywhere etc? Keep us (me) posted if you are going to get rid of it. I was going to start my 240z project in the spring when I have more free time and money but if I could find one with a cage and flares already installed I would have a huge legup on the build. I could quite possibly break down and buy it! Keep us posted.

I would semi-restore it.

weld in a new roof, sell all that add on body crap, just a general cleaning if you will. if the rails ar good, and its "almost" rust free, then thats the path I would take.

BTW, if you want to trade the triples for some SUs, or TWO sets of SU's than I would love to make that happen!

I also have a line on some great rust free body parts from lots of 240Zs!

I would semi-restore it.

weld in a new roof, sell all that add on body crap, just a general cleaning if you will. if the rails ar good, and its "almost" rust free, then thats the path I would take.

BTW, if you want to trade the triples for some SUs, or TWO sets of SU's than I would love to make that happen!

I also have a line on some great rust free body parts from lots of 240Zs!

EDIT: I also have BOXES of series on parts in storage, including a nice wiring harness.

I have a couple of pics.. no interior shots.. but I have some exterior shots.

I'll post something up.

I'm game for just about anything. The car is worth the 2k easily. I figure another 500-1000 to get it safetied, cleaned up and ready to cruise the streets. Personally I would not trust the car as a daily driver, but would make a fun weekend warrior. Its was kinda being built to be sorta racey, so it is a bit rough around the edges so to speak...

It does have a dual exhaust on it now, but it not suitable for anykind of driving on city streets ie speed bumps...

I'm interested in making some kind of deal..I don't want to let it go..even though I don't have much cash to spare for a car that may have to sit till next year before I can get too serious with it. Like I said..I'm about to spend some serious change on my z for critical repairs, and I have been unable to secure a deal on my 16" epsilon rims...If I could sell them, I'd buy the car in a second....

Thanks for ideas...

Email me ZR8ED@hotmail.com if you want to hash some deals offline..

Guest TM240Z

Are the low number cars worth more to some people?

My brother owns #548 built Jan 70. He is not the most mechanically inclined, or the wealthiest of Z owners, and would be better off with a 72 or 73.

Now, would a stock low number car, Fairly rust free ( hole in passenger floor), but is getting long in the tooth be worth the same as say a good 73 with 2.8, R200, 5 speed, etc.

Trent

My brother owns #548 built Jan 70.

Trent

How can chassis #548 be Jan of 70 and chassis #648 be a 69?

Pretty sure the VIN numbers were chronological.

If you look at the auto auctions, lower numbered cars usually sell for more regardless of make/model. And the more original the better. I think once you hammer in a piece of sheet metal as a floor pan then the number becomes more of an interesting curiosity. Especially if the original engine and trans are gone. In some of those auctions the car takes a price hit if you don't have the original owner's manual or correct factory paint markings on the production components. Fiberglass body panels take them completely out of the game.

As for restoration, the price of classic Z's still aren't up in the 10's of thousands, so it would be hard to justify the cost of a restoration on a car this far gone.

A car is only worth what someone will pay for it so in that sense I have been wrong before. But, as we have all seen, the average selling price of a V8 Z is usually WAY less than the cost of the conversion. No "purist" is going to touch a car with this many mods and few hybriders care enough about getting an early model to pay much of a premium for one. They just want to go fast. So it is hard for me to determine where this one fits in.

Just one man's opinion...

Guest TM240Z

I thought the first 500 were 69 models and 70 after #500. :?:

Anyway, his has original engine, E31 head 2400 valve cover.

I would really like to see the car go to someone who knows Z's and can maintain the car as original. The floors are going to need to be replaced, and I doubt he will be able to do a factory style repair. My brother really like the Z but needs something reliable that he can drive without working on it all the time. Anyone want to trade! :)

Trent

Not necessarily from what I understand. On the IZCC they have a registry of all cars VIN's and build dates and it seems that some with higher VIN #'s were actually built in 69 than lower ones that were built in 70.

On another note, I'm not purist by any means but I own #817 build date 1/70 and I won't be cutting this one up. That's the main reason I don't actually have a HybridZ right now because I just don't think it would be right to tear up a completely original car w/ very very little rust and only 75k on the odometer. I do plan on buying another 240Z in the very near future and tearing it to pieces, so don't crucify me for wanting to keep my 70 stock :D !

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Well I did the right thing. I bought the car. it needs some wiring..most everything works, but the wiring job was done poorly at best.

It needs rear brakes, a battery, carpets, and some exhaust work.

The paint is good...no new rust..floors still look ok. roll cage is good. I"m getting some extra parts like a racing seat, and some harnesses, and the stock seats are ok.

new front brakes, new clutch and electric fuel pump. the engine is awsome as well.

It just needs little details to make it right.

Here is a pic. (sorry but I couldn't remember how to get it to show up here..)

img src<"http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=1505">