HybridZ

Chevy Astro 4.3 liter radiator

tannji

Anyone on the forum actually done this install? I am considering it, as the radiator runs $40 in my area.... and the current radiator has a reservoir that hangs 2 or 3 inches below the crossmember. The plastic drain plug is snapped off, leading me to believe its only a matter of time before I will be missing the lower part of the radiator. Just looking for someones experience on this as far as hose routing, adaptors, the heatercore hose, ect...

thanks

tannji

Guest billy383Z

the low price of that rad makes this sound like an appealing idea, but will it be worth the potential problems you describe? When I did my v8 swap, I ordered a Griffin 2 row all-aluminum racing radiator from Jeg's. The one I ordered was as dimensionally close to the stock Datsun rad as possible, but still had to fab some mounts for it. It cost $179, but I knew it would fit, and since it was brand new, I wouldn't be taking any chances on a used junkyard part that may or not be any good. The initial price seems a little high at first, but I have had zero problems with this rad. I put it in 6 years ago. As far as heater hoses, I live in south Louisiana where the winters are very mild, and only drive about 2 miles to work so I don't even have heater hoses going to the heater core. The thermostat doesn't even begin to open in the time that the car is running on the drive to or from work, so there wouldn't be any heat anyway. In fact, the rad is so efficient that even in the avg. 95º summer heat, my electric fan (thermostatic controlled to come on at 185º) doesn't even come on during my normal commute.

I was thinking of using this radiator as well as this is recommended by JTR. I have heard that an Aluminum radiator isn't good for a street car due to the fact that they develope leaks over time with many heat cycles. If this isn't the case I may go with an aluminum one as well, that price doesn't seem to bad.

I used the original Datsun radiator but had it recored to a 4-row. Added the shroud and fans from the donor vehicle and it stays cool with AC running at 100°F in stop 'n go traffic. Keeping the engine cool has not been a problem at all with my conversion.

Guest billy383Z

dmyntti, I haven't heard that aluminum radiators are more prone to develop leaks over time from heat cycling...if that were the case, then why do most new vehicles come with aluminum radiators nowadays? I've been running my Griffin all-aluminum rad in front of my 383 sbc everyday for 6 years now, and haven't had a leak yet.

billy383z I remembered were I read about the all aluminum radiators. It was in the JTR book (seventh edition), they claim that the welds crack between the side tank and the core. It sounds like you are getting good service out of yours though and I may just go this route. 6 Years without a leak sounds good to me. Thanks for the information.

Guest billy383Z

Actually, on the griffin radiator, it looks to me almost like the end tanks are epoxied (or something similar) on. Maybe that's why it doesn't leak? Whatever, it works good.