HybridZ

smoke-do i need new rings?

Guest burt280zx

Guest burt280zx

my 80' 280zx had been sitting for years before i had bought it and ive finally got it running pretty good, and i took for a lil spin the other day.it was smoking a lil bit, im just wondering if it did that becus of where had been sitting and rusted out exhaust, or if the piston rings have gone bad?

i know the only true way to find out is to take a look at em ya know but i really dont wanna spend much money in this engine.( i have a turbo parts that i plan swaping engines out later, im just tryn to get this one on the road and looking good and then i can worry about speed LOL)

thanks

Can be rings, or valve stem seals. Compression test should tell you about the rings, if the numbers are very uneven, or go up significantly with a teaspoon of oil in the cyl then its the rings. I dont know the percentage but if you have 140 average on the 'good' cylinders, and one of them is 70, then at least one of them needs a ring job badly.

You can alsy try thicker oil, I had been using 20w/50, there is straight 30, 50, and 60 also.

Guest 72datsun240z

and what you might wanna try is the engine restore stuff it actually works but u have to use it evry oil change for about 6 months my friends truck was putting on a smoke show now it doesn't smoke at all

Guest Al 260Z

Recommend regular doses of Marvel Mystery Oil through spark plug holes to help free up rings. Squirt a tablespoon full or so into each chamber. Don't overdo it or you can break engine from "hydraulic lock". Works well if you let 'er sit for a long time, or if you warm up engine before application. Do that several days in a row, and she'll be purring. Change oil hot, too.

I just got old Volvo going, been sitting 10-15 years, now running on all four !

Applications of Marvel Oil, Berrymans, or Techron to fuel tank will help degunk the fuel system. The more clean gas you run through 'er the better she'll run. Best change fuel filter and keep spare handy. Also figure out if there's any screens to plug at fuel pump or tank pick-up.

Later,

Al