HybridZ

Some new photos of my car

BRAD D

hey there... very nice conversion! I love it... and it seems to have activated a little twitch.... I need to do some reading on that motor.... but could you fill me in quickly on the major points, such as:

Why that particular motor, as opposed to the turbo L28, sbc, or Det series?

What kind of power does it have stock, as opposed to potential?

Cost?

You mentioned 2475 lbs (I think) any idea what your curb weight was originally, or how this install affected front to rear weight distro?

Finished product aside, would you do this conversion again, or would the various headaches and deadends serious enough to warrant going a different route?

I am currently working on a 240Z Z with TPI... already "finished", but getting stripped to redo some shortcuts and sloppy wiring, as well as applying JTR mounting position, instead of pseudo Scarab. I have my eye on another shell that has promise, if you overlook its current powerplant. ( no problem there = ) I am also about to pick up a convertible 240 with 280zx EFI, and a bit of a cam. I am up in the air as to what to do.... perhaps just throw a light flywheel and clutch in the convertible, and go nuts on the shell? = ) this is where you come in, give me some feedback on what went on in your "hind-brain" while working your car, and what you think of it now.... The only thing I know for certain is that all of my cars have to be capable of being driven daily...

thanks....

tannji

"Why that particular motor, as opposed to the turbo L28, sbc, or Det series? "

Twin turbo...... 8000RPM redline....... the bottom end handle 600HP stock.

"What kind of power does it have stock, as opposed to potential? "

300hp or so mine put down 334@ the wheels (that is low some more tuning and I should get 40-50HP more). Stony puts down over 390@ the wheels.

"Cost? "

I would say 10K to do it right

"You mentioned 2475 lbs (I think) any idea what your curb weight was originally, or how this install affected front to rear weight distro? "

dont know, sorry

"Finished product aside, would you do this conversion again, or would the various headaches and deadends serious enough to warrant going a different route?"

I would do it again :twisted: Would be easy this time around...

"The only thing I know for certain is that all of my cars have to be capable of being driven daily... "

No problem, if my right foot was not so fat I bet it would be good on gas too, Only a 2.6L

here is some info on the car

1973 240Z

motor

- R33 RB26DETT

- custom stainless down pipe

- 3†stainless exhaust with Dynomax Ultra flow muffler

- Stock fuel tank modified

- Apexi GTR intercooler

- Areomotive fuel pump

- SDS computer

- HKS boost controller set at 14PSI

- HKS blow off valve

- RC 550cc injectors

transmission

- GTS-T 5 speed

- Nismo quick shifter

diff

- 4:11 r200

- ZXT CV’s

body

- House of color “Kandy Organic Greenâ€

- shaved marker lights and door handles

- tint

interior

- Momo steering wheel

- Momo shift knob / boot

- Momo RS2 GT seats

- laser cut aluminum fan / vent / heat / five 2-1/8 gauge panel

- Auto meter gauges ten of them

- Viper alarm

wheels / suspension / brakes

- Motegi MR7 17x7 wheels

- BFG g-force drag radials 225/45 R17

- Ground Control coil overs

- Tokico 5-ways

- Energy suspension bushings

- SCCA rear 240sx /300zx rear brake kit

i think that is it?

HMM... over-all I prefer somewhat period rims, but those wheels of yours look pretty darn nice! I suspected that the rb was pricey to do properly, but I want my next project to wind the rpms a little, instead of all the low end grunt I have now. Can I ask where the majority of the cost was? Do you have any of this documented for us to read, or would you consider doing an abbreviated writeup on it? What would you consider a good price for the RB to be? I occasionally come across opportunities here, but they are hard to take advantage of when I dont know the relative value....

thanks,

tannji

I'm thinking of getting some custom CCW wheels, and puting my old rims on the GF's Civic.

Well for cost I would say..

4000-6000$ for the RB and RWD transmission clutch and oil pan

100-600$ for mounts you can make or buy them.

300-1000$ for an intercooler

300-1000$ for full exhaust

150-350$ for a good fuel pump

100-200$ for intercooler plumbing

100-300$ for a BOV

0-3000+$ on a ECU, you can run stock but remember the stock car has CAT’s and is tuned to run on high octane Japan fuel.

10-60$ throttle cable

200-500$ an a nice rad, RB26 run hot.

60-200$ Fuel tank upgrade/mod to feed the thing

100-1000$ for gauges to watch what the motor Is doing

200-300$ for a custom drive shaft or one from a GTS skyline

+++ all the other things that add up, rad hose, clamps, hose, wire, clips, steel, filters,

And then you end up with a car that now needs brake mods, frame/rollbar mods, suspention mods, rear end mods….. You need all of this to be safe.

I have not installed my Momo RS2 GT seats yet, and the old seats feel unsave they don’t hold you in. It sounds funny but the stock seats just don’t feel right in that fast of a car.

It is hard to put a number on it because you have so many options, are you good at custom fabrication? Because that will save you a lot. And you can get a used/ cheaper parts or you can go all out, I have a mix on my car some cheaper parts like a stock modified fuel tank and some top end parts like a 700HP EFI aeromotive fuel pump…..

Guest Anonymous

nice list.... I think what I will be tempted to do is take the snorty convertible, and throw a light flywheel and comp clutch and call it done. Redo the V8 TPI to where I am happy with it, and list it here and Ebay for adoption. Drive the convertible while I find the parts, and document the project. Take the finished RB to PPIR and see what it will do at altitude.... = )

If I remove stock fuel tank and go with fuel cell in the spare wheel well, any thots about about the area underneath where the old tank was? Does this need addressing, something like a fanny plate to match the chin cowl up front?

thanks,

tannji

Guest Island Son

Brad D.

Can you give me any info on the shaved door handles, i'd like to do that with mine, any info at all would be great.

Thx

Sonny

I used some trunk poper kits with a bikr cable tube to run the cable in.

Welded the bracket to were the old door handle pocket is.

Not a ton of room in the doors, for this setup. And the new weather stripping pops the door open just fine.