HybridZ

deep confusion

Guest 72datsun240z

Guest 72datsun240z

hey i have spent last two months doing suspension upgrades and brakes but i haven't started the car for the whole time (the car ran when i started on the suspension)now as i tried to start it it wouldn't start i have changed the coil the spark wires the points and the little wire inside the distributer i have also exchanged the condensor on the side of the distributor for just a plain 18 gage wire because a friend of mine told me it could be bad (it had surface rust all over it) and i hve not gotten a spark from the coil yet i have checked the right wiring with the haynes manual and it seemed to be fine i don't know what to do anymore so if anyone can help me i'll be very thankfull

i have also exchanged the condensor on the side of the distributor for just a plain 18 gage wire because a friend of mine told me it could be bad (it had surface rust all over it) and i hve not gotten a spark from the coil yet

The condenser on the side of the dist is to reduce ignition noise in your radio. If you did what I think you are saying and replaced the condenser with a wire, then you have shorted your ignition out to ground. No way will your car start like this. Take off the wire. You really don't need the condenser on the side of the dist.

The condenser on the side of the 1970-72 distributors is indeed needed for proper ignition operation.

It's primary purpose is to reduce the arcing across the points when they open. It also tends to resonant with the leakage inductance of the coil to extend spark duration.

The later distributors are electronic and the condenser is not needed (except for RFI reduction).

My bad. Was thinking of GM distributors. The Z dist has the ignition condensor on the outside of the distributor. You do need a new condensor to make the car run. The old GM distributors had the ignition condensor inside the distributor and a noise suppression cap on the outside.

The ignition condensor is what drains the coil current to ground when the points open, thus allowing the plugs to fire. Replacing it with a wire has effectively bypassed the points.

so what you saying is that if i won't have the condensor than i won't have fire from my dist .???

Yes, we are. In fact, get a good one from a real auto parts store (not a trak auto el cheapo). The condensor is very important. Getting a bad or marginally bad "new" part will drive you crazy.

Guest 72datsun240z

i know i have seen it in Motorsports's magazine but it 4.99 + shipping thats 9.99 do you know if it would be cheaper anywherelse i don't mind payin that much if my car is gona start but you know tryin to save some money .thanks a lot for your help guys