HybridZ

New guy, has questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey im new here, i got a 280zx when i turned 16 two years ago and now that i have another car for my daily driver im looking into dropping a V8 into the Z. I was wondering what engine/ tranny combo would be the best for drag racing for a reasonable price, as well as if i could keep the Z's 5spd and rearend?

Not only would the 5 speed not be the best for drag, it will not adapt to a V8 without expense, and then your just going to break it anyway. The back of a Chevy V8 looks nothing like the back of a straight 6 import engine, then the splined shaft is your next issue, getting the clutch to work, yada yada. Get a T5 if you want a 5 speed.

Yeah dont even bother with try to swap datsun engine or tranny parts over to the Chevy 350. Now you can swap over senders that are used for the gauges in the 280ZX but when it comes to parts like the tranny its not worth it at all.

Now I have a 1980 280ZX with a Chevy LT1 engine. I have spent over $14,000 on my coversion so far and I am about 85-90% done. Still have to put on body kit, paint it, new rims, and some new seats!

Here's my website... http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com .

If you want something original go with the LS1. I dont think anyone has put one of those in a 280ZX yet. I wish I had gone this route. Has anyone put a LT1 besides me, into a 280ZX? I know its not much different from a regular SBC but I cant remember if anyone has done the LT1 in a 280ZX?

Guy

Guest benjlv

a quartermile at a time eh.....

think carbed big V8....small block due to space and then add NAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSS

throw a welded 4.11 in for the diff and use a T350 tranny...which is a 3 speed auto (auto shifts faster and produces more consistant times because of the lack of driver error) one of the biggest problem you will face is traction.

this setup will get crap for gas mileage and wont handle well at all, but will live the quarter very quickly. The 4.11 diff probably isnt the best ration becuase of the traction issue and it also depends on if the engine is a high rpm runner.

so basically how much $$$$$$$ have you got? what kind of skills do you have and how fast do you want to go?[/i]

Guest Anonymous

when im done with this thing i want it to be the fastest car at the strip period. i dont have alot of money up front but time doesnt matter so if i need to wait and raise more funds i can. and are you sure that a 3spd auto would be faster than a 5 spd manual? personally i cant stand autos, but if thats whats really faster ill go with it

when im done with this thing i want it to be the fastest car at the strip period.

Then you had better hope all the big boys forget to show up.

I think you need to readjust your goals. Certainly you aren't talking about beating nitro methane funny cars and such? 5 second quarter miles?

Spend a month reading through some old posts. It will give you a good idea of what is possible with a ZX. Start with the Chevy V8 forum since that is the most popular.

Also remember the old hot rodder adage: Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

and are you sure that a 3spd auto would be faster than a 5 spd manual? personally i cant stand autos, but if thats whats really faster ill go with it

Oh a 3 speed will not only be faster for a drag car but it will be way more consistant than a 5 speed manual. The more HP and TQ you have the less gears you need. If this is a drag car then I would go with the Chevy 400 tranny or a Turbo 350 tranny(Chevy) The 400 is easier to build stronger but the 350 can hold its own when its built right.

If you want big power then buy a big block chevy engine(BBC). BBC's are the way to go if its only a drag car. You will have to modify a lot of things but it will get you down the track the fastest.

If you are going full out drag car then you will need to think about a solid rear axle. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but isnt there a maximum time that you can go with a Indepent Rear Suspension(IRS)? Like nothing below 10.00secs? So if you went 9.99 the NHRA would have a fit?

If this is really a full drag car then you have a lot of planning to do to make "it the fast car at the track" cause you'll probably have to go below 9.00 to be the fast at the track with only the local boys. I know there are a few guys at the track that I go to that are in the 9.00's. I havent seen any in the 8's though at my track that are local guys.

Hope this helps,

Guy