HybridZ

need to buy or build rotisserie and engine hoist

tannji

Anyone have some pics and plans for a rotisserie? Or better yet, know of units for sale? I want to do my current 240Z once... found some new products that should allow me to enjoy my Z without major rust for as as long as I own it.... so while it doesnt actually have problems serious enough to require complete stripping and treating, I figure it will be educational, if not all that entertaining, and I should have a minimum of maintenance over the stretch that I own it.

Also... what is the general consensus on the best deadening/undercoating agent? I will be applying an anti-rust product, and over that a new thermal compound, but would like to finish off with something that will help prevent stonechips and cracking, as well as increase the sound deadening. Any and all input appreciated, as usual.

tannji

I did search for a while... but either the posts were lost, or mispelled = ) I didnt find many posts that mentioned a rotisserie at all. Also... i didnt search all the sections, just V8 and Paint and Body.... I wish the forum allowed an all section search, instead of a narrow search. Anyone got an old link?

tannji

Thanks for the suggestion, Spirit (sp?) And jeff... thanks for the link... altho if you read my post I did do a search... and still had questions, so I posted. If I havent irritated anyone too much, = ) any suggestions on one thing I am not seeing... are all these bodies being hand-lifted, or jacked into mounting height? Or do some of these rotissories have a jacking mechanism built in? Maybe I should just build both uprights with airshocks.... press a button and you are at height.... lol

tannji

Here is what I did for my 78:

2 X $40.00 Harbor Freight engine stands

1 Chopsaw

2 pieces metric square tubing (from when my neighbor tried to lift an entire plymouth sports fury and bent the lift arm on my hoist) This would be the hardest part to get. Metric tubing is not readily available. I'm sure something else could be made to work.

Various square tubing and large angle iron (to bolt to chassis)

Front bolts to bumper shock mounts (you have to notch the anfle iron to clear some tabs.

Rear bolts to tie down mounts.

Both are basically two pieces of large angle iron drilled for mounting holes and welded to heavy guage square tubing.

4 exhaust clamps (to ties chassis maounts to rotisserie heads)

Modified engine stands to have casters at all corners.

This has supported the entire chassis + suspension (including diff) and allows 360 deg of rotation. And, I can roll it anywhere there is smooth concrete.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1457

Thanks, I am on ebay right now looking at stands.... and trying to come up with an easy and cheap lifting mod for the contraption. I was looking at those exact stands.. but now am looking at slightly heavier stands, and tall vertical hydro jacks.... Tool King, here I come = )

tannji

Your funny, Spirit.... :? I already started pricing welding gear.... but its a skill I always wanted to have, so no biggie. now I just need to find some rams from the engine hoists... and install them in the uprights of the rotisserie.... = )

tannji

If your cars body is striped then you should be able to lift up one end to put into the stand. Try mounting the part that bolts to the car on each end and then lift up one end and slide into the pipe that allows it to rotate.

It should be eazy with a friend or a floor jack. I lifted the front and used the jack for the rear.

Be careful when only one end is on a stand, could be kinda tippy.

Don