HybridZ

input shaft sides?

stony

ok guys I apologize in advance I didn’t have time to search. I have to get my axle out in the mail today and had a question.

When my axles got reassembled I believe they got reassembled backwards. I mean the left axle got the right input shaft installed and vise versa. What I need to know is which one goes where.

If I remember right the shorter shaft goes on the left side with the longer input shaft and the longer shaft gets the short input shaft for the right side. is this correct?

Thanks again stony

again sorry for not utilizing the archives here but I just didn’t have time

Let me add to the above post (I assumed you were asking about U-jointed shafts). On the CV jointed shafts, the longer shaft (noticed fully compressed) will get the longer diff stub. I have both shafts off the car, and compressed (and also fully relaxed) the longer shaft has the longer stub on it). Here is a poor picture of the two side by side. The bottom shaft is slightly longer than the top shaft, and the bottom stub itself is again slightly longer than the upper stub itself. The two do not offset each other.

standard.jpg

sorry i am talking about cv shafts. i had them made according to the different sizes of the halfshafts compressed and extended. i also measured the distances from the stub shat to the grease sela on the diff and one side is longer then the other. my problem is when installed so both input shafts seat correctly in the diff one shaft is almost fully compressed and the other is fully extended to teh point that it gets pulled out of the diff while driving (not all the way but enough to start slinging oil.)

On the CV jointed shafts, the longer shaft (noticed fully compressed) will get the longer diff stub

are you sure. this is how i have now, and they do not fit right. on the long side the shaft pops in and isnt seated against the oil seal and the other side goes all the way in but does not "pop" in and can be pulled back out easily????

Well, I'm confused now.

on the long side the shaft pops in and isn’t seated against the oil seal and the other side goes all the way in but does not "pop" in and can be pulled back out easily????

I'm assuming from this quote that when installed this way, the shafts are the correct length, but that the stubs are not correctly snapped into place. and then if you swap sides, then the stubs snap in correctly, but that the shaft lengths are off. Based on this assumption, it would sound as though the stubs are on the wrong shafts.

Anyway, I opened two boxes of spare sets of CV axles that have been untouched and have the factory boots on them (very poor boots I might add). These shafts are identical to what I stated earlier. The shorter axle is mated to the shorter stub, and the longer axle is mated to the longer stub. The difference in axles is about 1/2" and the stubs is about 5/16" for a total difference between the drivers side and the passenger side halfshafts of about 3/4", with the shorter one going into the passenger side of the differential.

Now the great mystery begins:

ON MY CAR: The driver's side shaft, installed in the car (sitting on it's wheels at a normal ride height), is 15.5" from the diff case to the wheel side of the companion flange's flange, and the passenger side shaft is 16" from the diff case to the wheel side of the companion flange's flange. Measuring the axles themselves, I find that the drivers side is 1/2" shorter than the passenger side (by measuring the distance between the boots along the axle), which makes perfect sense. So now I ask myself, how is it that both of my spare shafts are different than the ones on the car.

Another part to this puzzle: In the factory manual, a detailed mechanical drawing of the differential shows that the shorter differential stub is on the driver's (ring gear) side, and the long stub is on the passenger side, which is completely different than the differential I have sitting on my workbench. I consider the drawings in this book to be extremely accurate, so this throws me off a bit as well.

Hang in there, I found the answer and you ain't gonna believe this!

I finally decided to uncrate my two spare R200 differentials tonight and find out what the hell is going on. Surprise, surprise! The long stub on my workbench differential which fits on its driver side only, only fits on the passenger side of my spare differential. The case numbers on both are identical, and the only difference is my bench diff has a Torsen carrier in it instead of the factory carrier. This now brings up all kinds of questions being I was planning on putting this locking diff in my car this week :x:x

So now I ask myself, is the Torsen assembled correctly? Was it designed for the U-jointed shafts which were the same length on both sides (with the exception of the stub lengths). Now must I cut off my brand new boots to swap the stubs with the axles? :cry::cry:

To finally answer your question, the factory diff has the short stub on the driver's side, along with the short axle. All the previous info I gave you was referenced to this hermaphrodite differential I have on my workbench.