HybridZ

MORE problems!

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

yeah I've been going thru using the brake parts cleaning spray to clean off the connections of everything. I haven't checked inside the AFM.. I'd been pondering opening up to fiddle with the spring tension adjustment there, but man it is sealed REALLY good. I hadn't thought to spray the injector connectors... dont know why I didn't, will do that today. Tommorow hopefully my mechanic will stop dodging me and will replace the faulty 6th injector. I'm very sure this is now the root of the problem. It will only pop if I do a lot of low rpm cruising and then get on it, so I'm thinking that 6th plug and cylinder are just loading up, and then letting it all go when I get on it, or just overloading on fuel and causing my pop and stumble. Today when I took off from a light I noticed a big puff of black smoke from my exhuast, but didn't see any more after that... that was probably all the extra fuel that had built up in cyl 6. Checked the plugs again today to be sure I wasn't running too much boost for the overall mixture, 1-5 still look fine, 6 still super black. *keeping my fingers crossed* this has gotta be the problem....

In the meantime I'm making a habit of keeping the revs up, both while cruising, and also while sitting at a light in neutral, to try to keep the 6th plug clean. So far no more popping or stumbling.

I think my problem was as simple as cleaning some connectors. Yesterday I used electrical contact cleaner to clean the AFM plug, head temp sensor, reset the ECU and cleaned all the plugs. Tightened up all the hose clamps also. Drove it hard through 3rd getting on the freeway and didn't feel any stumbling. Never heard the suggestion of taking it out for a long drive after reseting the ECU but out of coincidence I drove it on the highway for 30 minutes. Today I took it up to about 5400 rpm in 3rd and still didn't feel any stumbling. I don't seem to be getting the puff of smoke I used to get when flooring it.

Now I'm pretty sure it was a problem with the AFM or the ECU or I hope thats all it was. We'll see how it holds up.

Whenever my car starts idling rough its always been the ECU that needed to reset, I had a plug to it that was kinda loose and giving me erratic performance.

Dale-if you can floor it and hit 5400, you can take it to 6 :twisted:

Guest bastaad525

I've unplugged my ECU about 50 times :( I haven't gotten to take it for a nice long hiway drive yet, but will tommorow, when I go to get the injector swapped. I'll clean the connectors on all of them at that point

BayArea - glad to hear you got your gremlins ironed out :) it seems problems like this are really common and are usually easier to fix then it would first appear. My car definately seems to be copying yours in more ways than one, I get that puff of smoke when I floor it too. Hopefully tommorow all will be solved and I'll just be able to enjoy the ride and not worry about anything.

About pulling it to 6k, I thought there was no point pulling that high in a turbo motor? dont torque and hp fall off pretty bad after like 5-5.5k?

I feel like its more the turbo running out of steam up top that makes me shift at 6k. I am running that t3 ragged right now, 13-15psi daily, depending how im feeling that day. Turbo isnt making much more power up top because:

A: Dont have the fuel and power nosedives after 5.5rpm, I just shift at 6 still to get a better response from the next gear.

B: Only running stock ignition(.32 gap) and the ecu controlled advance, not setup good for high rpm.

I have a really strong engine, rebuilt by myself and I average 140 psi across the board with good pistons, shaved head, retarded cam timing, and a few other secrets internally, nearly 8-1 cr. Ive spun the car up to 6700 before, it will do it fine but I dont have the fuel, the turbo, or the timing to do that pretty often, I spun it that at 7psi non-intercooled, felt good, but didnt do very much, like 2500-6k is doing for me now.

I would replace all the injectors if you could, they are all probably the same age.

Hopefully that ends the issues and you get to mods!!

Guest bastaad525

no mods on the table for me for a while, friend :( well okay just a couple. I have the I/C, so I might find a way to get that installed. I want to get an FPR in there or a better fuel pump. And lastly, I'm finally gonna get the damn thing PAINTED!