HybridZ

ZF truck 5 speed?

Mudge

Actually thought about it and changed my mind. If you can get one for a good price and good condition, by all means.

Once you stab a cam and start playing with the car, the low gearing of the tranny coupled with an overdrive may be what the doctor ordered.

I would get the 3.9 gear out and plop a 3.54 in there though, that combined with gearing that was designed to pull loads uphill should be gear enough for a nice semi radical street car.

You know you could always do a toploader

ZF transmissions are my second favorite American tranny,compared to my favorite trannies of all time, the Old School GM, Doug Nash, and Richmond trannies, namely the

Rock Crusher, Doug Nash 4+1, Super T10, M20-21-22, and the retro Richmond6.

I have a lot of faith in those trannies, I slammed my m21 behind a built 327 for years in my 72 240z, I blew a lot of parts and partially killed the 327, but the trans kept rockin.

I would need something along the lines of these though, only v8s I can see in my future is 454BBC and bigger with one of the above trannies and a big 12 posi or a King Dana rear. Of course the way things are advancing in the SBC technology, Its a lot harder of a choice to make.

Not exactly sure what trucks honestly but I would generically say 90s-ish 5.0 and 5.8L trucks, I am actually starting to think about a late model 351 since they have a near 6" rod and have more stroke-ability.

I am curious though if the deck is taller on the block and/or realistically how much is the expense going to go up trying to chase one down, I am checking eBay and it looks like I can get one from an F-150 reasonably cheap, hopefully the local yards will be as forgiving, but we shall see.

I am not used to seeing small block-big block stick shift trucks period, so I dont know how many ZFs I'd find in actual donor pickups with V8s, but it was a curiosity since maybe I could get one cheaper than a WC T5.

zf truck trans is huge .used behind diesel and old 460 efi.not car friendly.the trans used behind 4.9 liter six f150 was a mazda unit.still not car friendly-poor gear ratios.5 speed behind 90's tbird sc was a mazda.most a low 1st to go with a tall rear gear(2.80 on tbird)this turns into granny gear with a 3.54..best trans is a wc t5 -but this was used on most mustangs.most mustangs had a 3.36 1st.wc is a 2.94-close to a late 280 zx na trans .which is what i run behind my 81zxt engine.we did a 3.55 gear swap in a tbird sc 5 speed at work-1st gear was good for getting car rolling -you had to get 2nd fast.

Thanks Randy. I know the ZF on the Vettes was a larger bellhousing and such, different flywheel/clutch setup too I think, so I wanted to be sure to ask.

Suppose I have to look for a simple T5 and a WC down the road or Tremec, I know they go for a few pennies though. I think I'd only want a crazy first gear if I went with a really freaky cam, and I probably would stick to something 230/240ish which is not really freaky IMO.