HybridZ

Latest engine pics

Yup, that is schweet alright!!

have you considered the K&N extreme lid for your air cleaner? That would give you a bunch extra flow!

Very nice man!!

Only thing that detracts from the cosmetic appearance is the flexible rad. hose...can you not find a pre-bent hose to fit?....not a critisism, just a curiousity.

Tim

Thank you both!

Dan: I'll be able to make it to Stockton if the Z's out of paint jail by then.

Tim: I like your ideas, I need a better hose and that K&N lid top would be the way to go. So far my plans for a winterized airbox work with of a flat lid, I'm going to need to do some re-thinking.

That engine looks Great! I like those valve covers and the air cleaner lid.

That looks like a 14" diameter by 3" tall element. I'm doubting that if you have less that 600 hp, you'd need that ugly (IMO) K&N top on the air cleaner. It'd be interesting to rig up a manometer to measure the pressure loss with the existing setup. If it's less than 1/2" of mercury, it'd be not worth the added $70 expense of the K&N top.

It took me about 4 trips to the parts store to get the right curved radiator hoses.

The top one I found should work for just about any Chevy form factor radiator. I had to use a radiator hose "bushing" to get it to work with my 84-86 non-heavy duty radiator. Anyway, the part numbers for the hoses are:

Top Hose:  Dayco 70651cs  -  This hose is very long and had close to a foot of extra length I didn't need.  I used a 1-1/2" ID to 1-1/4" ID Hose adapter to connect it to the radiator, NAPA PN 900 "Hose Adapter"

Bottom Hose:  Dayco 71217  -  Perfect fit with my custom low mouted alternator.  Looks OE.

Any decent parts store should be able to cross reference to those Dayco numbers.

BTW, if anyone is trying to get a heater hose to mount to the core and heater valve and go all the way to the engine connections, I found that one part number works. It's a straight long hose with a sharp 90 degree bend at one end with a 4-6" length after the bend:

Heater Hoses:  Dayco 80407 - This is a long straight hose with a 90 degree bend at one end.  I used one for each hose, with the 90 degree bend at the heater box/valve.  Plenty of length to reach the front of the engine.

BTW, all this is at my site:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/cooling.htm

Much appreciated for the comments and for taking the legwork out my hose search, Pete. Thanks Jon, the strut brace clearance you mentioned is one of those optical illusions created by the photo.

With more time to test the new manifold I've noticed the biggest increases at highway speeds, where it really seems to breathe better now. The car is more manageable down low without the neck-snap that my RPM manifold had. My u-joints will appreciate the swap, and the new power curve ramps up nicely to redline. Anyone thinking of a single plane might want to consider one of these super victor knock-offs by power plus, only $180 polished. :D

... Anyone thinking of a single plane might want to consider one of these super victor knock-offs by power plus, only $180 polished. :D

Yep--I was strongly considering one to use for my EFI conversion, but I'm going with stock LT1 for $1000 less. The Power-Plus is a bargain, polished and it is supposed to work very well judging from some comments from David Vizard (I think that who said it) who said they perform quite well and save a bundle over name-brand units.

Oh, and you engine is looking truly stunning BTW! :D

Davy

Hey that does look nice, especially with the air filter visable thru the scoop. I would go with a K&N filter top that has the air filter on the top of the lid, I forgot what it was called, that way you can stick with the same air cleaner, but get more air flow through the top of the filter as well-added bonus to that approach is that it also draws more air from the sides as well.

What part of Sacramento are you from? I had friends from "Sacra" from the North reigon, and they would make me go cruising downtown, I forgot the name of the strip, but it was pretty fun sometimes, very boring most of the time. Sunday we would go to Miller Park and hang out with people from the Garden Block (VGLs) and the Heights. It was pretty funny, being the weirdo from Sacramento hanging out with all these STC, AB, and other people with whom I stick out like a sore thumb. Do you have the "Who put Sac on the Map Vol. 1" CD? I have a minute long verse in the "King of All Cream" Remix- Im serious.

What part of Sacramento are you from?...I have a minute long verse in the "King of All Cream"

I've lived in different parts of Sac over the last few years, now I'm in a loft in Oak Park. I haven't heard "the king of all cream" but I have been known to wear a mexican wrestling mask on occasion. Maybe I'll see you friday at the Stockton get-together if my paint job is finished.