HybridZ

Buick 430 Big Block...

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Hey,

Has anyone ever put a 430 or any big block buick motor in a Z??? My mother has a '69 Buick that has a 430 and turbo 400 tranny that she gave to me and I have a Z that i could put it in, but would it be worth it? Sure would be unique. The motor is all stock. Any feedback???

Guest Hceline17

Will a 455 fit? 500ci+ engines?

been getting the impression from what people have been putting in their bays that a 383 is more or less the top end without putting a massive trash can on the car.

Will a Big Block Chevy(BBC) fit???...........Yes, will it fit as easy as a Small Block Chevy(SBC???........ No.

There are a few members who have put BBC in their Z but I bet there is less than 10. It is a much more complicated swap because there really isnt enough room for that BBC. Now people have done it but it is a very tight fit from what I understand. Not only that but if you go BBC then you will most likely be shooting for BIG HP #'s.....which in turn means you have to think about some serious chassi modifictions(full rollcage, strugt brakes front and back, subframe connectors and anything else you can think of to stiffen up the frame)

Then you also have to start thinking about a different rear end, like a solid axle(shortend Ford 9", etc) rear end. This is just so you can get big enough tires to hold the power to the ground.

I personally think a big block is usless in a Z(X) unless you are going to drag race it only. Most Z's wont be able to put all that power to the ground anyway unless you are a really really good driver. A well built 383 or 400 SBC will be more than enough power. Or you could do what another member did and build a Chevy LT1 with a ProCharger(supercharger). He was pushing around 600HP and he could smoke the tires in every gear! :shock: I think I heard a RUMOR that he could breakm loose at 70mph if he stepped all the way down on the gas! Look threw the archieves for "Darius" You will find a video of his car too, which is very impressive.

Biggest thing I can recommend is do as much research on the engine that you THINK you want to use before you go an buy it. Make sure there is an aftermarket full of parts for the engine so that you dont have to pay an arm and a leg for parts.

Hope that helps! :D

Guy