HybridZ

FI Intake manifold for Vortec heads

Well John (280Zen) has very graciously gotten by Megasquirt board to work properly (Major thanks again John!!!).

Well, I was planning to use it for my ZXT, but have sold it. So now I figure I will convert my truck to FI. It is currently running an Edelbrock RPM manifold and 750 DP Holley, with Vortec heads (with L98 cam grind and upgraded valve springs).

Anyways...What would be the best intake for this application. I was thinking of getting a LT1 intake and modifying it, but seems like a bunch of extra work. What can I just bolt on. I don't want to run TB injection, rather would like 8 fuel injectors. Would the TPI manifold work? I am currently running a HEI distributor, and that will have to stay as the MS will only control fuel. I have a Fuel pump from a 83 ZXT that I will use to feed it.

Any suggestions? I want this to be a quick, budget project (I barely ever drive the truck anymore....10mpg gets expensive)(1971 Cheyenne 20 FYI)

Tim

I have looked at the same thing for my Vortec converted truck. You can get a TPI intake that will bolt up to the vartec heads. I believe it is from Scroggins but I am not sure. The option I have been looking at is to get a newer Vortec FI manifold off of a newer truck ang use that. It would come with all of the sensors mounted and will bolt right up. I have seen these on EBAY pretty reasonable. Another option would be to get a single plane carb manifold and have it drilled for injectors. Then you would need to come up with a throttle body which can be converted from a TBI engine with the injectors removed.

Just a few thoughts. I think I am going to go with the Vortec manifod with Megasquirt when and if I ever start that project. (The Z comes first)