HybridZ

Bought 86 Corvette rear today!!!!

Guest thtdmbd8

Guest thtdmbd8

Thanks for the pics guys, but I licked up on an 86 Corvette today that had burned with the complete rear end assembly. I was going to go with a solid, but this was a deal that I couldn't pass up. It will be much cheaper on me. I have read Scottie-GNZ's conversion and was wondering if there are any more helpful hints I could use. Thankz in advance. :twisted:

I considered going with a Corvette differential as well. I was thinking of having the rear struts from the Z modified fot allow the Corvette wheel bearings to be used along with all of the brake hardware. I would then mount the differential like Scottie's first mount. You would then have to have custom axles made witha slip joint in the middle. I was thinking of front driveshafts from a 4x4 truck shortened to fit. I never got the rear end to start measuring things up though as I got lucky and got a good deal on an R200 LSD.

Just some ideas I had, but I have no idea if they would work out or not.

Before you install that Vette rear end, could you put it on a scale and tell me what it weighs? The Jag that I am thinking of putting in weighs about 300 lbs. My Z31 is already aws heavy as a tank, so i am on the look out for any components that will lighten it up.

Thanks,

Joe

Guest thtdmbd8

I will see what I can do about weighing it, but ScottieGNZ said it is about 80lbs lighter than the stock 240-280 rear end assembly. Hopes this helps.

Guest thtdmbd8

Nope, the car burned in the front and half way through the interior. There are no signs of extreme heat on any of the components and none of them are chared. I checked everything out first and I believe it will all work out great.

Don't forget, the Jag and Vette IRS use the half shaft as a locator on the suspension. If the half shaft breaks, you could lose control over the car. That is why the NHRA bans the vette and jag rear in cars that run faster than 11.00, but the Nissan and Supra type setups are legal. The half shaft only transfers power and doesn't locate the wheel.