HybridZ

a good replacement radiator

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys, i was wondering if there is a good replacement for my stock radiator that will work with the stock motor in my 260 and will also work if the day comes where i do a v8 swap. im kinda learning as i go with this whole working on cars thing and i was curious, what is the part infront of the radiator? is that part of it too? and if it is and i buy a new one will that come with it. im assuming its either part of the radiator or the air conditioner. any answers you could give would be appriciated. thanks.

shawn

You have a couple of options on radiators. The big thing to keep in mind that whatever works on a V8 will also work on a stock 260. Even the stock engines can use the extra cooling capacity.

Your first option is to have your stock radiator rebuilt to use a 3 or 4 row core. Any good radiator shop can do this. The only problem with this approach is the stock radiators are pretty heavy.

Your second approach would be to get an aluminum radiator build for a V8. One popular swap is a radiator from a late Camaro. Search the old postings since it doesn't have to be a Camaro. A lot of guys are also reporting good luck with an aluminum Griffin radiator from Summit Racing. Once again, search the old postings.

That "part" in front of your radiator is most likely the air conditioning condensor. This is a completely different animal from the radiator.

Simply put, Modine 952. That is the radiator for the 1984-1986 Camaro, V-4 and V-8 not V-6, I believe. It fits well and is aluminum with plastic ends. This will last longer than an all aluminum radiator which was designed for racing. I have one in my 400hp sbc Datsun and I run air. I run a 160 degree thermostat and temperatures stay around 180 degrees stopped with the air on in the summer. Not bad.

Guest Anonymous

I could not find a Modine 952 in the right dimensions since it was discontinued. I called Modine direct about the 952 avaialability and it was extinct!

Guest Anonymous

INDIANA Z, I tried the other companies and came up Zero. What are the company names and model #'s ????? (I came up with Griffin/ GR-I-1-25202-X and bought one for $190.00)..... RADIATOR.COM has about absorbed all the internet radiator vendors. I am not too intersted in a 4 cylinder radiator for a V8. I spent about 3 days researching this and could not come up with what JTR recomended in the Modine 952 dimensions..7/8 " thick/ 16 fins per inch /7/16" tube centers.