HybridZ

LS-1 Power Steering Pump

I'm going to be dropping an LS-1 with about 3,600 miles on it out of a '98 Camero into my '77. Obviously I have no need for the power steering pump. Anything special about deleting it and modifying the belt routing? Any problems with any of the other accessories?(alternator & A/C compressor) I'll be able to get anything I need from this car so, besides the engine, FI system & its harness, what else should I be sure to pick up? This is an automatic car so I'll be getting the T-56 separately. Do the 4L60E and T-56 have the same driveshaft? I'd like to use the one out of this car if possible.

Phantom

You should try posting this question on the Conversions board over at LS1tech.com.

Power steering delete should be no problem - I'm certainly not using it on mine. Just measure the belt with a piece of rope and get that length from a parts store. None of the other accessory brackets from a Camaro will work unless you remove the Datsun motor mount towers. You'll have to either fabricate some high mount brackets or buy aftermarket units ($$$).

I get the impression that the driveshafts are different since the guys doing a4/t56 swaps seem to swap shafts too. The ECU does have different programming, but I suspect that you can use a T56 with an A4 ECU - it'll just complain and throw SES codes.

You're lucky that you're in Texas since there seem to be alot of LS1 tuners there - esp. in Houston. You can just get one of them to LS1Edit your ECU for the trans difference along with all the other stuff - VATS, O2s, VSS calibration, etc. They typically charge $150 or so.

Other things to grab? I'd see about cutting the ECU mount off the car. I'm currently scratching my head on how to mount mine. Also, I don't have the diagnostic port and I wish I did. I'm using the tank and all it's goodies with my car since they plug right into the ECU. Tank seems to fit pretty well in the Z (with no tire well of course). I'd grab all the relays and their harnesses too. That'll make it easier. I'm gonna have to go back and get those myself. Can't think of anything else. I think the radiator is too wide. A/C condensor and hoses - get those. Oh, I'm copying LoneStar1 and using the Camaro console. Has a nice compartment and 2 cupholders :D !

Guest Anonymous

It may have the same yoke possibly, the T56 has the same output shaft spline and seal size as a TH400. Not sure that helps, but I think that the 700R/4 and T56 use the same ones.

Regards,

Lone

FWIW, the T56 uses the same yolk as the TH350, 200 4R, and the 700R4/4L60(E). The TH400 is a different spline altogether.

Tim

BTW, the ALDL plug is the same as any other GM car from mid 80s on. I got mine from a Cavalier, but a pontiac 6000, firebird, etc etc will work. May need to repin the plug to have the wires in the right place, but that is 5 seconds work.

Guest Anonymous

My bad, I was told it was TH400 when I was thinking about a T56, My T56 luckily (and unlikely $$) came with a F-body aluminum shaft so I didn't pursue it. Talking out the wrong orfice on a a$$umption again, sorry... frown.gif

cheers.gif ,

Lone