HybridZ

$500 to spend to get going.... but what to buy...

Guest ON3GO

well sense i cant post in the Announcements section because it says on Mods. can post in there now i guess it would be ok to post it in here.

i have $3100 to spend, and a month to go to get this Z done some what..

heres how it goes..

$1650 for the motor and getting it shipped here.. it has everything but a BOV, Intercooler.. but needs like $50 worth of stuff.

$50... for that stuff..

Have my BOV so i just need it welded on.. so say 50 bucks..

say $130 bucks for my Intercooler piping..if i can find a place to get it..

$360 i paid for my intercooler..

$130 for some parts threw Ross.. i owe him for a part, and for brake pads and the e-brake mount for my silvia rear brakes..

sense i need front calipers for my wilwood front brakes thats about $300.

say $120 for little things i might need here and there..

that leaves me with say $500 bucks..

im gonna need a electric fan, and a thin one at that because of the lare 2.5in piping ill be running from my FMIC..

and can i use my stock 280Z radiator? good idea... if so that will save some money..

but what else should i buy?

any ideas..

well off to Work.. god i hate the night shift...

thanks..

Guest 240hybrid

I would wait until you know that you need the parts, instead of trying to figure out what parts you need. I know you want to buy it now so you have it ready to go when the time comes. I'm 20 also and know the "want it all and all now" syndrome. Im trying to correct that. I also know what impatience can get you from personal experiences....

It will get you sending parts back cause you jumped the gun before knowing exactly what you needed, it also leads to a end result your not happy with cause you rushed it. I'd save that $500 for when you REALLY need a part to get the car on the road. I'm not saying that you dont need the parts your looking for, but let them come to you perse(I think thats how its spelled).

You have what a month and a 1/2 to finish the car up. Thats a good bit of time, so I wouldnt worry. I hope Im not coming across harsh, arrogant and high and mighty. Im not trying to be, I just gave my view on the matter and think I would hold onto the $500.00 for now. Just my $.02

yeah im kinda holding off buying a few things...

i hope my radiator is good.

i also wish my rear end was done.. cuz its in bad shape.. so nothing more then 6psi of boost for me..

thanks guys

So you have all that suspension and stuff hooked up already?

If so, thats pretty dang cool. Sounds pretty hardcore. How about getting the car on the road for now, adjusting all the bugs that come from a total suspension teardown, and get ready for the next step.

Also, maybe a set of zg flares? Then we could check you out on the 17s!

I wouldnt rush to do a turbo swap just yet, get some road time and learn the harness and all.

Taking time on the turbo swap will get you really far ahead of the game, as will troubleshooting all the work you have done thus far.

well everything is done but the strut sectioning... yes i know.. each person and shop i call said they cant do it.. im gonna call a race shop here in town today so im praying for the best..

waiting for my calipers then all that will be done... just havent done my rear calipers yet..

i gotta do the turbo swap because my motor is dead... so im buying that this week..

i already have everything else for it..

and it has the 300zx harness already cut for my Z.. so its pretty simple for what i have been told..

yeah ZG flares are next, and stainless steel brake lines..

other wise im done with some misc parts like hoses and such..

oh yeah im buying a fuel cell because of the turbo swap and fuel filter also..

wheels should be here soo i hope and tires too.

i gotta get this car moving because if not then i cant bring it to texas with me, and then that means i cant touch it for about 2 years or more... and i cant do that!!!!!!

gotta get it done..

well there goes those 2 shops to do my struts.. and F it i might just do it myself and prob mess up... :(

You wont mess up! Just carefully measure everything, then cut the strut housings with a rented pipe cutter. Since you don't want to weld it, bring that part to a welder, it shouldn't cost much.

the welding shops around town wont even touch it just to weld!...

they said they dont wanna risk messing up and not making the coilover sleeve fit perfect so they wont do it..

the muffler shops wont either... they will however welding my BOV..

im gonna call up those shops in Orlando that 280Zen posted... i just dont wanna drive out there and such...

Guest 240hybrid

That 76 280z tank has the proper baffling to keep the gas from moving around too much and leaning out. Or at least I hope, Im using a 75 tank for my turbo swap, but have never had a problem corning hard while low on fuel with my NA FI L28. If your still gonna get rid of it I know someone that will be interested in it. What would you want for it?

I think once you get the motor in and drive it, you'll be pretty stoked. It will make you realize that its coming together. :D Keep on it. Heres an idea, will Ross C. section those struts for you??

i dont think ross will, plus that would be alot to ship everything...

i have everything now.. jsut gotta get the struts done..

im gonna get sway bars this week prob too.

that will finish off my suspension besides the camber plates i wanna get..

and ya im keeping the stock tank. i didnt know i could use it without doing anything to it...

ON3GO,

I am not sure how far Spring hill is from Orlando but I do remember a hell of a lot of orange trees around the out skirts of Orlando. This means there are farmers and farm machinery repair places around. These guys could whip up the fabrication you want done. Have a look in the yellow pages under engineers or mabye farming and ag. machinery. I have a cousin in Orlando thats a engineer and was pretty in to modifing cars that i might be able to track down if you really get stuck. I cant belive its so hard to find someone to section the struts.

Good Luck

Douglas

Guest 240hybrid

Thats cool, I thought that he might be able to do it for you, since he supplied the kit to your. Yeah I was surprised to see you post that you were thinking of getting a fuel cell, just thought I'd take it if you did. Good choice not to as it saves you from doing fabrication work.

The only place I would think that might do them and feel safe doing it is a low rider/custom suspension shop maybe. See if you cant find a place that does that type stuff, might be a chance they will do it?? Just make sure they know what you want and have some knowledge, that goes for any shop though.

There arent any hybrid members down there that might give you a hand with it if you throw a bit of $ their way??

well ive been calling alot of shops with no luck.. this is really pissing me off. i mean so many ppl on here have gotten theres done but i cant!?!?!?!?!?

Douglus if you contact your cousin that would be great, if not thats ok..

thanks..

mike

I`m sure the big problem with most shops is the liability issue. If they aren`t doing brakes and suspension work by the book, they are potentially opening themselves up for a lawsuit. Don`t you have any local welding/welding supply shops around?

If so... I would recomend asking them. even if they won`t do it themselves, they would most likely know someone who would/could.

BTW, Tell them it is for a track only car that will not be licenced or registered.

Mike,

I will have a go at getting in touch with him. I havent seen him in 18 years or so. ( last time I was in Florida). This will take a while as I will have to find out details through my Dad who answers e-mails when he feels like it and in his own time. I would continue to pursue other options first if i were you. how far is your place from Daytona? There must be fabrication shops there. Anyway i will let you know as soon as I find some thing.

Cheers

Douglas

well i will but if you get intouch with me please let me know...

i still cant find a shop, if i gotta go to orlando i will i guess i just wish it was closer.