HybridZ

Supra IRS ?

ok this won't be going on my z-car but this forum has a broad knowledge base so, does anyone know anything about the Independant rear suspension on a first or second gen supra ? do any or all of them have LSD ? I am looking for an independant set up for my starlet, it currently has a multilink solid axle with coil springs, anyone have ideas for me ? advice ?

If you use the SEARCH function, you will find out quite a bit of information on this rear end. For example, there is 87 posts that you will find if you used the search function with the search words "Supra IRS".

Anything is possible with the right tools and a little welding.

!M!

Guest kenafein240

There is a great Yahoo group for the Starlet "toyotastarletracing". You might ask your question there. I haven't heard of any IRS swaps though. The conventional swap is the Corolla GTS swap or the SR5 rear. I'm looking for a GTS with LSD.

Check this car out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2427378786&indexURL=4#ebayphotohosting

He mentions a celica/supra rear, but I don't know if the mk1 or 2 was a solid rear or not. You could probably contact the guy and ask him your questions.

I had a semi trailing arm rear end that i was going to put into my ke35 corolla. I think it was a mid 80's rear end. Any way I took most of the rear end out of the corolla to try to get the sub frame up where it needed to be to get the suspension angles right and then realized that the sub frame asmbly was three times the weight of the beam axel. At that stage we ditched the subframe and were going to conect the pivoit pionts directly to the chassis but there was no usefull metal any where near where it needed to be. I scraped the idea and three linked the rear with a panhard rod to locate it side ways. Its still lighter then the supra componets. I think the beam axel will work better for me (road racing). The car is a race track only car. Semi trailing arms dont work that well as far as indipendent suspension goes. They are really one step above the swing axel and from what i have read have to be set up really stiff to minimize toe changes. You can set them up like a true trailing arm and get rid of this but then you will get no camber change with roll. Not good.

If i were to go the IRS way again i would make a strong box that held the diff and located the pick up points for the inside of some wish bones and make a proper double wish bone set up or a chapman strut set up. The double wish bones would work better on the starlet. You wouldnt have to fabricate strut towers then.

Cheers

Douglas

thanks for the responce guy's, mat, I didn't think the search function would do me a lot of good on the starlet, just thought I'd get some insight from some of the experts around here that are more familiar with all toyota products than I am, I did a bit of research and found that it is not going to be practical for my 2.3t powered starlet, the corolla AE and sr5 axles have priven impossible to find in my area thus far, might just go for a narrowed 8.8

Evil,

Get a axel from a toyota truck or four runner or similar. If you get a early model one it might also have the four stud. Some also come with a lsd. You might be able to get stronger components that will slot into the starlet rear. It pays to keep it as light as possable.

Douglas