HybridZ

Uh oh... newbie post, with Q's! (83 280ZXT)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello All,

This would have been my first post, but while I was searching for the answer to my questions, I came across another current post I thought I had a few suggestions for, so I guess this makes my introductory post my second post. But, I guess I've always been a bit backwards. :)

So I've been checking out the archives today, but didn't find much to help me. So I guess I'll go right into my questions. I have the opportunity to purchase an 83 280ZX turbo for dirt cheap. It's an auto, but hey, the price is right.

Here's the deal. It's a friend of a friend's car, and it was driven daily until it started running rich and flooding out a couple months ago. He said it'll run, but floods and tries to kill itself... It's only got 111k on it, so it's barely broken in. He's done some work to it: new head gasket, injectors, aftermarket exhaust (said it cost $600 ) and a new vaccuum control module. Supposedly the only rust it has is a little under the front bumper. I haven't checked it out yet, but I will if I like what I hear here. My buddy said he rode in it a few times and it's in decent shape. And T-tops are fun in the summer.

So I figured I'd ask here if there are any common problems that could cause the flooding... What I found in my searching was it's most likely a vaccuum leak, or a FPR. Possibly just needs a tuneup. Maybe a cold start injector. But what are your thoughts? I'm fairly handy with a wrench, so if it's something cheap and easy, I'll probably scoop the car up soon.

Oh... Here's the best part... I should be able to get it for less than 400 bucks.

Is there anything in particular I should watch out for? I looked for a FAQ on the net all day, and couldn't find anything... I know about the rust on these cars, but what else? Any hints and tips you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a little history on me. As you can see by my sig, I'm not really into the Z's all that much. I have a full size Caddy that I have swapped a 6 speed manual out of a 97 30th Anniv Z28 into. The auto was just so boring! Heh heh. AFAIK, I have the only 6 speed Fleetwood on the planet! I love driving it and go out racing in it and just having fun in it in general. I love that car... Awesome daily driver! :D But I used to own a 78 280Z non turbo just out of high school, and I loved it, too. So I have some fond memories of the Z cars... I also always wanted to get another one as a project to stuff a monster LT1 V8 into. So this car could be just that. Eventually.

So that's my story.

I look forward to hearing your responses!

Thanks!

Bill

*fearing a beating after reading all those search warning stickies!* :lol:

Also... If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. This was the best place I could think to put it.

well if not in bad shape, and no rust really then for the 400 bucks even if you cant figure whats wrong with it right now its still onme heck of a deal so i would buy it..

ill look for some threads and post that could help u...

LOVE YOUR CADDY!

its some what of a hybrid then :)

Guest Anonymous
WOW' date=' a six speed caddy. You are nuts. Still has cruise control?

My buddys thought I was nuts for wanting to put six speed into a 96 Impala.[/quote']

Yup. Everything still works. :) Heh heh...

You can check out my site for details on the car.

I'm kinda excited about this Z though, too! :D

How about swapping the caddy engine and 6 spd tranny into the Z :wink:

About the car running rich, most common causes in Z's relate to dirty connectors. A faulty head temperature unit (most often a dirty or lose connector) is a common cause of Z's running really rich and barely starting. Of course check fuel pressure, FPR and inspect carefully for vacuum leaks as you already mentioned ( the turbo EFI doesn't use a cold start injector so that can't be the problem).

Just make sure that you CLEAN and inspect ALL the main EFI connectors (e.g. air flow meter, head temperature sensor...and also unplug the connectors to the ECU and clean them as well (even if they look clean). Anyone here can share a million stories regarding poor EFI performance related to dirty/faulty connectors, they are so so common in these cars.

As far as other things to look for in these cars there really isn't much else outside of rust. The cars are incredibly robust and as you probably are already aware of parts are cheap and working on them is very straight forward and enjoyable (as opposed to my late Q45 and many other cars I have played with). $400 is an absolutely great deal. In case you haven't owned a turbo car before, be warned, boost is highly addictive. :D

Guest GreenZ

definitely buy the car, that is a hell of a deal. Check for bad connections at the head temp sensor and replace the O2 sensor. Clean the connection at the computer by sliding the harness off and on a few times. Have fun and enjoy the ride. BTW, the turbo with the auto tranny was faster than the 5 speed.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...