HybridZ

Bad News, Good News (maybe) and Bad News

Scottie-GNZ

Well, I have been struggling with tranny problems for some time. Some might recall that the car had to be towed home on the way to a Z show in Gainesville. Thought the problem was the new converter but it turns out the front pump and input shaft was damaged. Soon after that was fixed, I had a bad leak from the tranny and some might recall the car smoking on the top-end at Reynolds. I have dropped the pan a total of 7 times (laying on my back :fmad: ..) trying different gaskets, sealants and also fixing the shift governor. Turns out the leak was coming from the vent tube and it kept getting worse.

BAD NEWS - Had to pull the tranny again and discovered the front pump and shaft again was damaged. This time the pump cracked where the shaft goes through it. No clue what is causing it.

GOOD NEWS (maybe) - Pump/shaft replaced again and hopefully I can test it and run at Reynolds, if it holds up

BAD NEWS - If it holds up I will not be pushing the car and hope I will not yield to temptation to crank it up. Best case the car runs about the same time or less if I crank it down. Its really gonna hurt to do that :D

Hopefully, if it holds up, I will pull it again and try to get to the bottom of it. Converter runout? Pushing stock components too hard? Fluke? The 2 incidents have completely different symptoms and the actual pump damage. One thing in common though, it all started when I installed the new converter.

240Z Turbo, if you are wondering, I am establishing my excuse for the ass-whupping you plan on laying me :D :D

I'm glad you finally found the cause of the leak but damn pulling the pan 7 times and the transmission multiple times just sucks. I picked up my Trans Am at 5:00pm today from the transmission shop. The drag racing, road racing and autocross finally took it's toll and the tranny went south. Mine feels good again so I hope you have similar luck this time my friend.

Hey Scottie I have a GN Guru down here that I communicate with. All he builds is stage 3 and 4 setups (seen and ridden in his cars). I got my BRF tranny from him to go behind my 240Z small block swap. If you want I can ask him if he has an extra "moded" BRF available. I am one of your fans and I would like to be able to help you if possible.

• 2 weeks later...