HybridZ

My 240ZT suddenly died... Please help me out

Guest TK240Z

Guest TK240Z

Hi, I was driving my car 1:30am this morning and it suddenly died. The alternator didn't charge enough. Anyway, I charged the battery and it started right away but it died again in a minute. My battery had 13.0V reading so I believe it was enough to run the car. I could crank it and it started up but couldn't stay at idle nor rev up. It was running really great till today. By the way, It stalled before but I thought it was because of my blow-off valve vented to atomosphere. I did eccs self diagnosis and there weren't any codes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

My car is 1972 240Z with 1983 L28ET and 1984 300ZXT ECCS.

It may be the MAF, check the hotwire to make sure it hasn't broken off any of the contact points as those wires tend to break. I don't have a MAF car presently, but my old 86 Auster with a CA18DET had that happen. It could also be a vacuum leak. Had that one hose under the throttle body that connects to the carbon canister come off and it made my car run pretty bad.

John 82ZXT

• 1 month later...

Taku,

How are you doing? I can't believe you didn't let me see the final product that we put together. I am sorry not contacting you right after getting back from Mississippi. I would love to see the final product so send me some pictures.

Double check your intercooler hoses... if they pop loose you will get the same symptoms. Good luck

Vinh

If your MAF is bad or disconnected, it'll throw a code. Code 21 I think. Does the car die when you get on the throttle? Maf car can run with a vacuum leak under what I called limp mode. it won't rev 2krpm. I would check the EFI relay, you could have stressed the relay if the relay was cutting on and off whe nyour car wasn't charging.