HybridZ

Kia's WRX killer

BayAreaZT

Guest comeandzpa

ehhhhhh.........what?? So Kia is essentially joining the "all-show-no-go" rice mentality? I'm confused as to what that has to do w/ the STi, other than having a rediculously large rear wing. No power upgrades? Creepy. :malebitchslap:

I concur. At less than $18,000, kids will go crazy over 'em. You get a car that is strikingly similar the WRX for 2/3 the cost.

Although, it will make it that much more fun to see them try to race a Z at a stoplight. :D

Oh I agree that they will sell faster than Kia can stock them.....it's just downright stupid.

No. Anything that makes a car manufacturer money is a successful thing, not stupid. If it is, they will be stupidly laughing all the way to the bank. For example, we used to laugh at the Ford Explorer when I was in the car business until we found out how many Ford had sold--we were the ones who were 'stupid,' not Ford or the happy customers that bought Explorers.

I think it would be stupid to buy one and try racing people because I thought the body kit makes it faster---I agree, but it ends there.

Davy

Let's see. 124 kw = 167 HP. The Rio weighs 2403 lbs, about the same as a 240Z, but it has more HP than the stock 240.

It still has more HP than the 280Z, or the normally aspirated 280ZX, or Z31 -plus it is lighter. At about 14.4 lbs/hp, it even has a slightly better ratio than the 3200 lb. Z32 with 220 hp which gives it 14.5 lb/hp. Fortunately the Zcars 6 cyclinder motors have a significantly better torque curve so they'll probably run with or even beat the Rio but the numbers indicate the little car is a bit more sprightly than most would believe - especially the Honda Civic drivers.

Guest comeandzpa

I didn't mean it was stupid for Kia, it's brilliant for them if they can pull it off (which they undoubtedly will). I just mean that it's stupid to buy a souped up Kia....it seems so contradictory, since they are meant to be spartan-esque cars that sell only because they are 3 grand cheaper than the closest competiton. It's just sad that people will pay $14,000 for a Kia because it has a big wing. And as for the performance, I suppose they must have actually pumped it up a bit, cause I know that there is no way that that Kia makes 167 horses in stock form....

Guest BigWhyteDude

What about when the Exploders started to crash b/c of fords genious idea to lower the recamended tire preasure? They took a massive hit if not in sales in the stock market at least. All because the exploder rode to rough. i think they lowered the recamended tire preasure to 26 P.S.I.