HybridZ

Finally got under the car and made a downpipe

mobythevan

album_pic.php?pic_id=1579

My welding isn't the greatest, but this should work. I chickened out on welding to the cast flange, so I just made a new flange from 3/8" mild steel and matched it to the gasket. This opens the port out of the turbo a little bigger than the stock cast downpipe flange. Put a little more angle into it to tuck into the tranny tunnel real nice. I am also goin to put a couple small mandrel bends as I go back to keep the whole thing tucked up into the tranny tunnel. A straight pipe from front to back has to hang lower to miss everything. I'm not real worried about ground clearance, I just like spending countles hours laying under my car. :-D My 3" exhaust will be shaped more like the factory 240 exhaust, not sure how some people are getting straight pipe to work all the way back, maybe they aren't.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like it'll work fine. I didn't get away with using a straight pipe back either - my downpipe points a bit down and in, I had to run straight from that to clear my driveshaft loop, then up and out to get to my 90* bends to the stock muffler location. It was only one custom welded piece, and it scrapes if I'm not careful, but otherwise I'm happy with it. Not including the stainless downpipe ("Scottie" style for $150), I've got almost $400 into my 3" exhaust, including welding labor and the Dynomax muffler. It was more expensive than I anticipated when I set out to do it myself.

where did you get your plate of steel? how much did it cost you?

Sorry I didn't read this post for a few days. There are two steel yards in town. I routinely go to both to buy sheet metal, angle iron, etc. I just dropped by, told them I wanted a piece of 3/8 mild steel. They sent me to the cutoff machine to look through small pieces. I grabbed a piece that was like 4" wide and 8" long and 3/8" thick for $3.

Ha, I don't include the price of my welding in making my exhaust because I spend way too much time in the garage. I keep two price totals for the two cars and only let people see one or the other at a time :D I've got $150 into my exhaust and downpipe, just materials.