HybridZ

z31 ecu swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi folks! New to this board, but I did do a search before I posted, and didn't find any pertinent info on what I want to do. I have heard of people using the z31 ecu on L-motor cars. The reason I want to do this is that I want to get rid of that stupid flop-door air meter, and go with the mass-air type meter. It has to be a major restriction to airflow, and I am planning to get my head ported and polished, and doubt that I would see much gain with that big restriction in the air pipe. I plan to go turbo as soon as I can afford it, so would a turbo ecu work with a N/A motor, or would I have to get a N/A ecu for now??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :-D

Believe it or not, this topic has been discussed extensively. What information are you looking for specifically? If you are handy with wiring, it's not a hard swap at all, and I feel it's worth getting rid of the flapper.

Keep in mind both the NA and turbo Z31 ECUs are designed to run the 260cc/min injectors, so that's another piece you will need for the swap, in addition to the 280ZX turbo or Z31 engine wiring harness.

so would a turbo ecu work with a N/A motor, or would I have to get a N/A ecu for now

Turbo ecu should work for now. I don't think there's much of a difference btwn the two. If you get a non turbo ecu it can also be reprogrammed to work with a turbo setup.