HybridZ

Making JTR mounts

What tools did everyone use in making their own JTR mounts? I was going to buy them but if I make them myself that will give me a pretty good excuse to go out and buy new tools. :D I have a limited supply of tools ( basic hand tools, jack, stands, basic power tools, etc) but I would be willing to spend the $250 the JTR kit towards new stuff. The parts seem pretty basic ion the manual and I think I could make them with the right equipment.

Guest BigWhyteDude

um i would probly try a saws-all with a metal cutting blade to cut the blanks out. And a drill and jig saw for the little stuff. Um no garentee on this though as i havent even gotten a Z car yet. I.E. i have no motivation to go ahead and make the setback plates and the like :( If i had a cutting torch availible i would use that.

Guest benjlv

a angle grinder is key. that and a drill....preferable a drill press.

The angle grinder could be used with a cutting disc to cut the metal and small adjustments can be made with the grinding disc.

You may be right... too easy. The flat plates ARE easy with a drill press, but you will need to find someone with a torch to make that squiggly (technical term) tranny mount.

Buying tools is always a good investment for a car hobbyist with a place to keep them. A drill press is really handy... having holes that are accurately placed and truly perpendicular makes assembly much easier.

Making the tranny mount is tough. A machinist nephew made all my mounts except for the tranny mount. We used a torch to heat and shape the piece but I'm not very happy with the results. looks strong enough but it's not as professional looking as the rest of the pieces. I think spending $55 from JTR is not a bad idea.

Louie.

Angle grinder, drill press, oxy/acetalene torch, band saw. Ka-Ching!

That $250 to JTR is starting to sound like a good deal.

Actually all these tools are a great investment, and I think your idea to spend your money on tools and fab the parts yourself is a smart move.

Hmmm, I have all those tools, except the band saw, and I still bought my kit from JTR. What's with that?

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get an grinder and maybe a small drill press. I know I'll use those again. Whatever else I might need I'll try to borrow from friends. I see how the tranny mount can be a bit tricky. It's worth a shot I guess. I can get probably score some steel for really cheap. Worse case like luiem said is just to caugh up the $55 for that piece. Everything else seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help.