HybridZ

my car and i need help diagnosis

Guest ZmeFly

Guest ZmeFly

well ive had this saga recently with my 83 ZXT. it was running fine, i changed the wiring harness for a newer better harness with all new fittings and what not to claen up the engine bay and well just for better contact.

came out that night and the car wouldnt run, seemed strange, well the next day i did some tests and found that the TVS was out of adjustment, adjusted said TVS and went on my happy way for about 3 weeks.

i went to the parts store one day just to see if they had my alternator, mine is still charging at 13.5, not that great but i wanted the maxima swap anyway and figured why not change it.

well they didnt have said part, i go outside and the car will not start, cranks, gets good fuel, spark and the lot. when i could finally get it running it was running really rough and spitting out black smoke threw the exhaust. extremely hard to start, barely run and wouldnt run above 1200 rpms. first thought was the CHTS.

what i have done to get it running or try to see what was wrong and make it run. ive cleaned all the contacts in the car, new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, replaced the CHTS, took numerous ohms and voltage readings of all that i could. AFM checks out as it should, TVS checks out as it should, im really tired today and havent c ompletly checked the distributor and or crank sensor, ill try tommorow.

to go on, i finally go the car running, then when i tried to drive it, it started bucking a bit but i figured that was all the fuel that was probably in it from me trying to start it so much. ill give the car this when your pissed and flooring it she runs like a banshee, smoking 3 gears, god i love that.

yet now here are two problems that i cant for the life of me figure out. number one is that on decelleration from about 4000 to 3500 rpms i get a backfire. sometimes light pop pop, and other times just one pow!!

also something very strange i noticed is now that when sitting in the car, if i rev it to say 4krpms, and let off the gas it will almost die or die. when it doesnt, the rpms will catch back up again to 700 rpm idle. when this happens and this is the really weird thing, the oil gauge just drops off, to ZERO, i tap the gas and it comes back up again.

the sender is new. well those are my two problems and im at a loss this car is making me crazy and its about ready to hit the for sale section if it keeps pissing me off.

any suggestions, thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

Those blasted gremlins :x , wish I could help ya but I'm not up on the ZX's nor the ZXT's.

Just off the top of my head...sounds like some sort of fuel enrichment problem of some kind(?). As far as the dieing on deceleration...that sounds like some sort of "Deceleration Valve Adjusement" or something similar.

Since alot of this began w/the advent of your new harness-perhaps you have a bad ground wire somewhere. Have you checked all possible ground wires/straps?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Ok, I had an 83 280zx, and it did the "belching black smoke, bucking around and not idling right god d@#%^ piece if s#&! I HATE YOU STUPID CAR!!!!" thing to me too. I also checked all the wiring, conections, and even started swaping out parts (Air flow meter, TVS, ect) But nothing helped. This was the car that pissed me off so much, I sold it. THEN, The guy I sold it to figured it out: A bad fuel injector! One injector replaced, and the car ran perfect.

Now, something else I disvovered (a few years later) about Nissan injector harneses, is that they crack/corode and sometimes dont make contact. This causes similar problems. With the engine running, try jigling the injector clips (where they clip on the injector) and see if the engine runs different. This may be what happened after you replaced the whole harness. Hope this helped.