HybridZ

65 mustang vs. 75 Z

a friend of mine has a 1965 mustang fastback dressed up to look like a shelby, and has got a 450 hp crate motor. i have a 1975 280z with Eibach coilovers, 33MM swaybars, urethane bushings, adj. shocks, a short throw shifter and a lightened flywheel.

next year we are both going to get our licences and i want to get him and other people to get into autocross. but i want to beat him on the course, do you think i can do it?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
next year we are both going to get our licences and i want to get him and other people to get into autocross. but i want to beat him on the course, do you think i can do it?

In all racing the car matters less than the driver. If you are both just getting your licenses I would say your chances are about the same as a coin toss. Although, if he is putting out 450 HP I would say he'd be more likely to mess up.

I used to race (slalom) my '65 fastback with ALL the Shelby suspension parts and suspension modifications. Then one day I drove a Z around the track and....., well, the motor that was in the Mustang is now the same one in the Z. Yes, setups may have been more optimal in the Z than in the Mustang, but the Z left quite an impression on me. I'd put my money on the Z.