HybridZ

Coil over question

John,

You do not have to section the struts if you aren't going to lower the car any more than about 1 to 1.5 inches. Any more than that and you lose too much shock travel. The advantages to coilovers are: the ability to run slightly wider wheels, the ease/low cost of changing spring rates (one rate for the road, one set for autoX, one set for drags etc), and the ability to set ride height and thus abilty to set weight distribution (using corner weight scales).

If your car is only going to be a road car (with a few drag and auto cross runs sprinkled in), and you don't need any extra clearance for rims, then a regular set of lowering springs will do the trick.

Tim

Issues that make a coil-over set-ups desirable are 1) increased wheel back spacing for wide wheels and tires that would normally interfer with the larger diameter OEM springs 2) Ease with which spring rates and can be changed 3) Ease with which the ride height can be changed.

Sectioning a strut tube is only recommended if you lower your Z enough that nomal suspension compliance causes the top of the strut tube to impact the bump stops. This would then be resolved by shortening the tube, which requires a shorter than OEM insert in the tube.

Guest billy383Z

J260Z, who manufactured the coil-over kit you show in your picture? I have been wanting to do coil-overs on my car, and can't seem to find a REASONABLY PRICED coil over kit for my '77.

i stole that picture from ON3GO but i have the same kit with the exception that my threaded aluminum tube (the red piece in the picture) is 8" long and blue. i got the kit from Ross Corrigan at http://www.modern-motorsports.com. it is a great product and Ross really knows his stuff. i just finished helping ON3GO get his assembled in this thread http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25653.

Guest 260zman

Hi guys.

it seems to me that nobody seems to make stuff themselves these days.

I've made all my coilover suspension and now in the process of making my camberplates. i guess not everyone has access to lathes and mills like me :D i get a lot of satisfaction in doing everything myself, although somethings can be a bit of a headache!! Just thought i'd mention too that i'm real thankful for all the help i've been able to get through Hybridz.

I think most of us NewZealanders are the sort of people who like to do things themself rather than buying kits(which are hard to find over here).

the good thing is though we get lots of RB26dett engines!!

Cheers

Well! :D The gauntlet has been thrown down :D On MY coil-over set, I was converting a race only (metal on metal) coil-over set-up to something more palatable for the street with some rubber included. I fabed up my own bearing retainer and upper spring perch using Honda (yes, fact is stranger than fiction) upper spring holders (my 2.5" coils fit very nicely into these Honda (YAH, I'll say it.....Honda.........HONDA) spring locator cups with the rubber (my camber plates made any kind of Datsun part useage very hard).

Guest billy383Z

Thanks for the info, guys. If I still had access to the machine shop where I used to do a lot of my work, I certailny would have made my own spring locating components rather than buying a kit. Guess I'll just have to start saving my pennies and buy a kit....

Hey 260zman!

Do you want to make a extra set of camber plates? Rear ones only for now. I want to replace the whole rubber assembly back there to lower the car. The car was originally set up with the rear 60mm higher then the front. Not the look I was after.

Cheers

Douglas (Hawkes Bay)

Guest 260zman

well its good to see some people making stuff!! :-D yeah at the moment my camber plate design isn't dampened to they might be quite harsh for street use...they're just a spherical bearing without isolator.

260z,

Not fussed about the harsness. Its a sunday only car. If it ever gets out of the shed. I keep finding more rust. Anyway, if you are keen to make a another set of plates can you let me know what they will cost so I know how much food to take away from the children.

Cheers

Douglas