HybridZ

Help with chevy history

Hey Grumpy ,

I have a chevy trans that was made by New Process in the late 70s. It has a 3.09/1 1.62/1 1/1 and .73 to one as the ratio in a four speed box.

My trans has a noise in second gear and when I call a Chevy dealer they ask what car it came from. Since I bought it at a swap meet I am at a loss as to it's original use.

Do you know of a web site that would show options like this and what models they were available in ?

Thanks,

Dennis

AKA V8ZED

:confused:

Guest super280z

sounds alot like a saginaw. these were common equpment in 70's camaro's and t/a's luckily there is an abundance of parts for them and they are about the easiest transmission to repair on the face of the earth. match the numbers to a specific car and you've got a parts source. ;D

Thanks for the reply,

I needed to be more clear in my description. This is an Overdrive trans built by New Process (MOPAR ) with a chevy bolt pattern and input and output shafts.

To order internal parts the dealer needs to have a model of car that it could have been used in. They have tried to look it up under tranmissions, but thier books don't list that way.

Dennis

:confused:

I would contact somebody like National Drivetrain for parts. They should be able to help you ID the trans as well. The only OD 4 speeds I am familiar with are the saginaws as well. They flip the 3/4 shift lever so that 3rd gear is really 1:1 and then put an overdrive ratio where 3rd used to be. It's usually fairly easy to ID parts from a 3rd party supplier since they coded them well because they sold to so many different manufacturers.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the National Drivetrain heads up. They know what trans I have and I am ordering the parts.Found this trans was used mostly in pick-ups and vans to help with gas milage.

this trans is much stronger than the T-5 I had, and still has a .73 overdrive.

Thanks Again,

Dennis

cheers.gif