HybridZ

HELP!! Clutch Fluid Type - Tried Search

EvilRufusKay

Hey Guys,

my clutch went last night and I suspect my slave cylinder but I don't what type of fluid to use to check the leak. I know there are different grades of fluid and I know that some systems actually use brake fluid. I have a 75 280 and am assuming the slave is a Datsun type. The 350 was in the car when I bought it but I am sure it was a manual from the factory. Does anyone know if the swap calls for a different type of slave cylinder to be used? The clutch master is the Datsun type.

Thanks for the help!!!

if you have to bleed it by yourself and you do not have a proper brake bleed can, or one way valve, you can get a 3-4 foot long 2X4 and push the pedal to the floor with it and wedge the seat against it, then go under the car and put a rubber hose to your bleed screw, run the hose to a jar with brake fluid in it, making sure the end of the hose is submerged.

loosen the bleeder nut thingamabobber ( i love that word) then tighten it again. go into the car and release the seat, and 2X4. Then push the pedal down again with the 2X4 and the seat, loosen bleed nut, tighten, release pedal, engage pedal, loosen, tighten, release, engage....

a clear rubber hose works best, you will see the bubbles come out of the system.

bleed it 'till it's clean and free of air.

Joe.

Guest 240hybrid

I always liked the "Mity-vac" tool. Its a brakes/clutch bleeder(by yourself), can be used to check vacuum, it even does a couple other task I can't remember off hand. I picked mine up at Autozone for $26 and change. Very useful and easy to use tool. Would always recommend one if you plan on doing your own brakes and your friends/family don't want to sit in the car and pump the brakes or clutch for you. :?

I actually had my brother helping me bleed the slave and the only thing I did diferently was not have a hose submerged in a jar. I know that is the method used to bleed a master,(run a hose from the zerks back to the master) but do you need to do it for a slave? You would not do this for say calipers. The system is so small, the master, about a foot of hard line then the flex hose. It seems to reason you should be able to let it gravity bleed and almost be fine but I get almost no pedal. A bit at the bottom but that is it.

How about this... I was having my brother pump then depress and hold, like doing brakes. How a bout loosening the bleeder then pushing the pedal down? Retighten fitting. That goes against what I was taught to do for brakes but mabe???????Just maybe. I will try a submerged hose as well. It's about 11:15 here... maybe I should wake the wife for her foot.

That would make her real happy... heh...

When you dont have the hose on there, there is no pressure in the line, so all that happens is the fluid flows through, and air can get in at the fitting.

My cluth was the only thing that i have successfully bled more than once!

(I have got to bleed my brakes again!)

Joe

Well I got my pedal back but it is still not the same as it was prior to the slave blowout. I am thinking I need to bleed the master. I get small air bubbles out of the master when I have someone pumping the clutch. There is a small flat head screw in the bottom of the casting of the master. Does anyone know if this is intended to be used as a bleeder?