HybridZ

electric water pump

Has anyone had experience with a Proform electric water pump? I'm running one, and I don't have the foggiest notion how to hook it up. I would like it to be thermostatically controlled, with a manual overide. Can I hook it up to the same kind of temp sensor as the fan? Will I need a thermostat? Where should I put the thermo switch? I was thinking in the head, where the stock chevy temp guage sender goes. :?

thanks

Joe

You need to run the pump continuously. If you run it on a temperature probe where would you put the sensor? If you put it in the radiator the pump will never come on because the hot water in the block would never have been pumped to the radiator. Then - if you put it in the block, where in the block? Save a lot of trouble - run it continuously and use a standard thermostat. Install the pump so it sucks from the radiator bottom and pumps to/through the engine block.

Aren`t most electric water pumps for race only applications? I would be scared to get too far from home since they are usually for track use only.

Nope, not anymore. The Proform ones are supposed to be able to withstand street use. I have no issues with an electric pump and I think they look very trick too. With the relative low cost of a Proform unit, buying an aluminum water pump from Edelbrock or Weiand has me thinking twice :roll:

ph_1582.jpg

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=1582

Davy

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
With the relative low cost of a Proform unit, buying an aluminum water pump from Edelbrock or Weiand has me thinking twice :roll:

No kidding, $150 is a great price. Maybe even good enough to keep a spare on hand.

Anyone have a pic of one installed?