HybridZ

MegaSquirt'nSpark update for L28ET

mobythevan

Just wanted to give a quick update on my progress, I am ready for the real fun now. I got the MS unit completed, soldered it all up myself and I have to say the instructions are great. Tested it out with the stimulator board and everything works great(using Megatune). I am using an old P200 laptop I dug up for next to nothing. I will be using the relay board from the MS guys, it is all constructed and ready to go. I also bought AC-Delco sensors, heated O2 sensor, Intake Air Temp, and Coolant Temp. I bought a 240sx throttle body and TPS, that should arrive any day. All the parts are here so it looks like the weekend of the 20th I will start installation. I think I will just get MS running first using an NA dizzy, then when that works correctly I will make the jump to squirt'nspark code and figure out how to get a usable trigger signal.

Thats it for now, more to follow

Guest bastaad525

Kewl Moby... I'm still very interested in doing the Megasquirt myself once I can get some of my other problems ironed out. Couple questions for you. How much have you spent altogether, roughly, including the TB and all the sensors? Secondly you mention you will switch the ignition method when you find a way to trigger it. I was under the impression that you needed a crank sensor to run the megasquirt, but when you say that it sounds like you only need it for the ignition part of the deal. So if I run a MS just to control fuel, and just run an N/A dizzy like you say (there's a lot of tune-ability in N/A dizzies... ) do I need to mount any kind of crank angle sensor for it to read RPM?

How much have you spent altogether, roughly, including the TB and all the sensors?

The MegaSquirt, relay board, stim board, digikey order for parts, cost of enclosures is roughly $230. I piad $40 for old laptop. I paid $75 for the three AC-Delco sensors(Heated O2, IAT, CLT), but these retail for $150, my father-in-law owns an auto shop :wink: . He recommended AC-delco sensors instead of wells or other cheapos, he said he sees a lot of failures with those. My 240sx Throttlebody was $40. I don't have an NA dizzy yet. Total so far is about $400. I also wanted to upgrade to the 240sx TB when I put in an intercooler, so the cost is all intertwined.

So if I run a MS just to control fuel, and just run an N/A dizzy like you say (there's a lot of tune-ability in N/A dizzies... ) do I need to mount any kind of crank angle sensor for it to read RPM?

If you only run regular MS (fuel only) then you only need a tach input. It seems like the best working solution is to use MSD 6A unit and run MS from the tach output of the MSD. If you pick up your tach input from the coil you can end up with noise issues from the high voltage. Unless I missed something I don't think you need a crank angle sensor.

Looks like the easiest dizzy to get set up is the early 280zx with ignition module on it. However, if I am going to put MSD 6 on the car anyway, then I don't need the dizzy with ignition module so it looks like I could use your type that way. I am still a little soft in the head on the igntion system. One complicating factor seems to be that the 83 280zx turbo engine has a different drive shaft for the dizzy, with a torx type coupler and also seems to be different length. So if I swap to an NA dizzy I also need a slot type shaft. I have a couple 260 engines setting around, I think I can use the shaft from them with any NA type dizzy. Going into this I would like to have as many parts laying in front of me as possible, so let me know what you want for the dizzy, or maybe you can donate it to help a good cause :-D

Guest bastaad525

Yeah it's a different shaft, not sure what year N/A cars have compatible shafts though. Regarding the early ZX dizzy, my original N/A motor that I used to have was out of an '80 ZX with the stock dizzy, and I used to run the 6A with that. You do have to completely remove and bypass the ignition module on the dizzy to get the MSD to work. If you have any questions on how to wire the MSD let me know.

I am still amazed at how cheap the MS goes for... Once I figure out the last problems with my car I know I want to upgrade the EFI, and do it cheap... I'm split right now between the MS setup or following Yo2001's route and going with a Z31 EFI system. Not sure what his cost but it seems incredibly easy to do, and he's definately making good power with it.