HybridZ

Paint Quality?: Earl Schieb

zguy95135

i have been to the website http://www.earlscheib.com and i want to get the highest paint job (pro 3 or 6 i think) its on sale for $259. i am planning on doing some bodywork myself (ie. sanding, fixing dents, welding trim holes). does anyone know how well the paint will come out? im not expecting a show-like finish but i want it to look presentable; no runs or lots of orange peel. the paint scheme im going for is

charcoal metallic or gunmetal with two 4" light silver stripes.

Do a search on the topic.

There was a fairly long post a few weeks ago about Scheib and Maaco.

I think that the consesus was that it depends on the individual shop, but in general they suck.

Tim

[EDIT]

I did the work for you....

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18913&highlight=maaco

Tim

thanks for the link.

since your from the bay area too do you know any place that would do a pretty good paint job and not end up killing my wallet? i only have about $800 to get it painted; or should i just touch up the places were old duct tape had ripped off the paint and buff the rest out ?

Check again....I'm in the Los Angeles 'Bay Area' :D

Buy a gun from Harbor freight, some white paint, and spray it yourself.

Assuming of course you have a compressor.

90% of all paint work is the preparation (sanding, blocking, filling etc).

If you do all of the prep work, and mask it yourself, then Scheib/Maaco might be ok.

Tim

take your time and paint it yourself,both of those paint shops you mentioned SUCK the quality of their paint is CRAP and they don't sand the cars they scuff them, you will regret having them paint your car.practice painting on something else ,lots of people can paint ,take your time don't rush the job. all the best to you ,show us photos when your done.

I have to agree with the folks telling you you'd be better off painting the car yourself. Get some inexpensive paint, and a nice paint gun, sand a fender off, reduce the paint by about 50% (I wouldn't use automotive paint to practice, get some rustoleum and thinner. You'll end up sanding it off when it runs anyway) and see if you can teach yourself to paint. It's really not too hard when you get the hang of it. The trick is not putting too much on. Even though it might not look fully wet when you spray it, let it sit a minute and it will flow out. Once you've got the technique down, get some good paint and do a few body panels at a time. When you get pretty good at that, prepare the rear of the car and finish it off. The paint will match fine if you are using an off-the-shelf color. Single stage is less work and probably a better choice for a beginner.

Otherwise, do the prep work yourself, go to earl sheib, and take your own paint.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigjim240z

im in san bernardino and can paint your car. if you just want a one stage acrylic enamel paint job i could help ya. figure $500 for a good job. no body work included. i will wipe it down with a grease and wax remover, wetsand with 400 grit sand paper, take it to a spray booth, mask it and shoot it with acrylic enamel. i will put pleanty of paint on it, unlike macco or earl scheib, and it wont have paint all over your chrome and moldings. leave it will me for 3-4 days. if interested email me. if you want to see my work check out the i will paint your car cheap post in this forum. thanks jim

Guest bigjim240z

this is my old z i sold to ron soto, it looks exactly the same as when i sold it with the exception of the wheels and the killer performance mods he made. we can make your z's paint look like this, and this is single stage acrylic enamel. if you want it to look better we can do a 2 stage with base and clear!