HybridZ

looking for a pic of inside LSD vs. OPEN diffy

pallnet

i ran a search and found a few pics. there was one that i'm looking for that has both side by side basicly and that is the one i can't find.

i have a question though.. did the 300ZX open diffs have a carrier that looked like the clutch type?? i have seen the open ones and i have had 2 LSD clutch types and i know the carrier is squareish looking without the big hole to see the spider gears.

i found a diff in a yard today in a 88 ZX not turbo. it has the finned cover and that made me pull the diff out the car. i opened it in the yard to be sure and it looks like a clutch LSD. only thing is in the yard when i turned the drive shaft both wheels turned, when i turned one wheel both turned

(in the same direction) now, i have the cover off and stabbed in a couple of stubs in it at the house. one turns one way and the other turns the other way. it has no fluid in it at this time. will i need to create some binding on one side to make the clutches engage?? i'm going outside to take a pic of the inside of this thing to be sure. it really looks like the real thing. if so, it just goes to show ya that you can get a LSD out of a N/A. us Z nuts are swapping them into our cars fellas.. i try to look at all Z's for things like this.. be back in about a hour or so with a pic or two.. thanks pallnet

ok, i did a few checks on it and YES!! it is a clutch LSD. i put a wrench on each stub shaft to bind them. the clutch locked right away. no play what so ever.. both shafts lock right away. there is no metal on the drain plug magnet. looks like this might be a keeper. i regret selling the other one.

as much as i wanted to keep it. i needed some quick cash.

Picture%20475.jpg?dc=4675438809380307598

N/A=Naturaly Aspirated, no forced induction (turbo, supercharger)

Also, if you turn one wheel and the other spins the same way what is that telling you?

It's usually a LSD (Limited Slip Differential). Or somebody welded the spider gears in a open differential.

Or if it turns the opposite way?

It's usually a open differential.

To learn more about how these differentials work and what's inside of them, go here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

!M!