HybridZ

Which paintball guns are good?

80LS1T

Well after seeing a paintball gub in action yesterday I have decided to get one for next spring. I just want to know which ones are good ones and which ones are jam-o-matics! Here's what I want...

1.) Easy mantaince

2.) Optional firing rates...semi auto and full auto

3.) A good BPS rate(balls per second)

4.) Oh and something that is under say $300'ish

I just am not sure which brands are good and whicn ones have reputation for being cheap junk! The paintball gun that I saw in action yesterday was a Tippman A-5. Man that thing could shoot flat(so it doesnt shot paintballs like a rainbow!) for like 65+ yards!

Also what is the big deal with N20 in paintball guns. Is CO2 that bad?

Thanks,

Guy

ill sell you my Spyder shutter (red) with a 32oz tank, and small 8oz tank, JT top of the line mask, remote, extra balls back pack, and clear 18volt hopper for 350 bucks.. i used it 5 times.. maybe. it sa grteat gun, shoots hard, and pretty fast, easy to use, looks awesome and at a low price...

i think thats a good deal for all i have. i paid like close to 700 for everything.

mike

In my opinion, the spyder markers are to be avoided...

No offense.

I have a LOT of experience with paintball guns, and i can completely dissassemble and reassemble nearly every single marker on the planet.

A good reliable, inexpensive marker to get is offered by ICD. Look for B2K markers. They are the bushmaster series, controlled by an electronic solenoid. 12-14 BPS. you can set it to burst modes and full auto, but if you are going to use it on a field then you can only use semi auto.

You can find them equipped with electronic eyes that sense whether or not the chamber has a ball in it, this feature ELIMINATES ball breakage in the chamber.

you will need a high pressure air tank to run it though.

I am partial to Autocockers, though they are not super simple to tune, they can be very reliable, fast, and stable. I like them.

My favorite marker by far is the LCD angel. fast, smooth, reliable $800-$1000 used though.

the bushmaster really is the least expensive quality electronic marker on the market.

If you have any more questions you can e-mail or PM me.

Joe

Co2 doesnt expand below 65*. and you can feed liquid C02 through the gun, which is bad for the seals, and will decrease your FPS alot.

No2 is extremely stable.

I started out with a tippmann, they run OK on C02 compared to most other markers. and the flatline is a nice barrel. though it is extremely long and not well suited to close range battle. (believe me, you will want to be able to tuck up close against bunkers... tippmanns dont allow this.)

stay away from automags... they are paint blenders, aside from the E-mag... which is a great marker when combined with a warp feed but is very pricey.

Joe.

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/010-3025-1.html

there is the base model Bushmaster, Semi only. (you dont really need full auto with the trigger that it has.. i know) I had a defiant which is a bushy with autococker barrel threads, and i could set the trigger to where i could drum on the sid of the marker and make it fire... super short mouse click trigger.

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/010-9014-1.html

there is a nice autococker. you would want to immediately upgrade the barrel to a dye boomstick. 10-12" .

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/010-1650-2.html

here is a cool sidearm...

There are only a couple of other markers that are under $500 that arent junk. (imho) I have owned nearly every single brand and type of paintball marker... I was really really heavy into the sport..

look around at paintball forums for really good deals... like this forum...

http://www.paintballstar.com/pn/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index&c=10&sid=24d73777a1000eeefe32efdfeb4d6622

and http://www.paintballcity.com which is down right now... but they usually have good deals.

Joe

Well I dont plan on playing on a paintball field. I live on a 25 acre plot of woods. So I have my own paintball field. Me and like 6-7 of my friends are going to get them and use our land as paintball fields! I'm not paying to shoot my friends! LOL :D So worrying about walls and other paintball field objects are not really a cocern.

I remeber about 3 years ago when I was looking into them I fould a gun that I really like but I cant remeber what it was called? It was something like "ATF...." or "AFR....." something like that? Joe you know what I am talking about? I think it was supposedly used by the army for training?

Yeah I know I was looking up those ANGEL guns and holly cow those are some expensive guns! :shock: I bet you get what you pay for though!

Guy

If you like playing out in the woods get a Tippman Custom 98. You can get either a flatline barrel or a Sniper barrel. They work great. Makes your gun shoot a lot farther. You can even get full auto upgrades for them. I have played for years using the Tippman on 40 acres of wooded and hilly land. They are a very tough gun and shoot well.

I have seen people come out in thier high dollar guns saying their all bad and what not...they all end up getting their you know what, kicked all over the place. Some of them have gone out and purchased Tippmans afterwards. Ha ha ha.

They shoot well, take a beating, are long lasting, beginer friendly, have a higher rate of fire then many guns, have tons of upgrades... the list goes on. Right now I think they are going for around $139 here. Hell even Wal-mart sells them now.

I also have a Zap 600 electroinc full auto gun... its not to bad. It has a selectible rate of fire....for 1,2,3,4,5,6, and then full auto. You should see the people run when they hear it at full auto. He he he. I still choose my Tippman over it. More accurate gun.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful sport of paintball.

Jason

P.S. Always...and I mean always wear your face mask when playing.

Yeah I have been looking at those Tippman A-5's and 98's tonight and reading up on them. They "seem" to be a good gun for a begginer like myself or for someone who doesnt want to spend and arm and a leg on a gun. I really need a gun with some long rage ability because we will be playing in the woods. There are a few natural obsticles in the woods like a few hills, lots of huge Pine trees, a few turned over tree stumps with 1/2 of the roots out of the ground(kinda like a natural wall), and I also have a huge deer stand that can be used! I am thinking a Tippman with a Flatline barrel or a sniper barrel. I just cant decied! I do have time on my side though. So I am deffinetly going to be on the look out for a good deal on one! Just need to start saving up some $$$ for one! :D

What do you other guys think of the Tippmans?

Guy

I know exactly what you are talking about. The guns are call AT85, and various other designations begginning with AT.

they were used for police training, but if not perfectly maintained, the complex paintball cartridge is prone to malfunction. There are a few mods for them, but they are pretty expensive.. If you want realism, take a look at these.. http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/010-1656.html

I am not familiar with that particular series, I never really considered having a realistic look paint marker... it is more dangerous than it is worth in my opinion, because i had to drive to paintball fields...

The Tippmann is a very rugged marker. They do fire very fast for their design. The flatline barrel should only have high grade paint shot through it. Diablo actually makes a pretty good, competitively priced paint that will work pretty good in the flatline barrel.

There are also alot of factory upgrades offered by tippmann, they have a responsive kickback trigger kit, (reffered to at the RT) that kicks the trigger forward with every cycle, so if you can get the pressure right, you can get it to cycle very fast. Though at really high rates of fire you may notice alot of velocity droop. Especially with C02 and cold weather. You may want to consider a remote tank setup if you decide to co with C02. The remote setup helps keep liquid C02 from getting into the power valve. that combined with a nice stock and expansion chamber could be a problem free system. But, C02 is a dirty gas, and you will need more regular maintenance.

The A5 tippmann has a reciprocating auto feed I believe. I havent seen it in action...Car came, paintball went.... But Tippmann is a sewing machine and pnuematic component manufacturer, they do precise work, even though some of the early tippmann gun reciever (body) was made out of cruddy pot metal. I hope they have changed that process. The barrels did not always line up perfect....

my fingers are numb...

Joe

there is no such thing as a sniper barrel in paintball, except for one that is named the sniper, it has rifling, which really makes very little difference with liquid filled orbs. (they are NOT perfectly round.)

I must URGE you to get a chronograph and the proper protective equipment.

I good paintball goggle setup with good range of vision, strong lenses, and good face protection is worth more than you would like to admit..

PLEASE play safely. Do not shoot at anyone above 190 FPS. under any circumstances. It sucks. It is dangerous. I have been shot from extremely close range in tournaments and on the rec field, numerous times. These paintballs are no joke. When you have 8 bleeding welts on your back, you will hope that you havent done that to someone.

but anyhow...

Get the flatline, keep it clean and dry, put a nice Model 98 underneath it, with a good paintloader... and just take people out, uphill, downhill, and further away than anyone would expect.

have fun man...

Joe

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah I have a Tippman 98 custom with just the longer barrel ($10) I found in a box of extra parts at a store, and a bigger 32 oz. tank. I bought mine as the kit for $200 with a mask and all the goodies that go with the gun. My buddies had some kind of Spyder gun and theirs jammed up and wouldn't work right after taking them out to 5-6 matches. Of course they might have been tired of getting killed all the time too :D . Also why do they make them red/blue :? ....don't you want it to be black so it doesn't stand out so much in the woods??We played in my buddies backyard (few acres) and I never had problems with my Tippman and we played in rain and crawl on the ground many times and I never damaged it. Just clean it up good afterwards.

Its been a while since we played, but theres an adjustment on the Tippman custom also that allows you to increase the velocity of fire, not speed of fire, but how much power is behind the shot... :D . Let me just say this, I have given my buddy a bloody ring on his back, but I was only shooting from about 15 feet away which they say not to do :wink: ....sorry dude. I go with the Tippman as others have said.

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-gas-systems-remotes.html

those are remotes. they allow you to run a large c02 (or, more rarely N02) tank that you carry in a pack. like this:

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/040-5410.html

the tank is placed in the center slot.

actionvillage_1758_35198782

The color of the marker is pretty inconsequential. if you are close enough to distinguish color on such a small surface, then you have already seen the guy. Chrome stuff isnt really acceptable if you want to be stealthy...

But I always preferred to have flamboyant markers, that were compact, 12" maximum barrel length (the ball accelerates only in the first 7 inches of the barrel anyhow. any more than 12 inches is just excessive, trust me.) I like wearing bright jerseys and sometimes i would put a jester hat on... that was always fun...

I noticed that the more people you have aiming at you, the better off you are, the guys cant tell where thier shots are landing sometimes, and cannot correct thier shot. Alot of players have to "walk" their shots to be at all effective... It is called the Spray and Pray method.

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-gun-loaders-and-accessories-loaders.html

Those are loaders. Do not buy anything that is not motorized, if you have a slow loader, you WILL chop paint, often.

Paintball is a great hobby.... i wish i had the cash to go back into the game at the same level i was at as when i left.

I should post some pics of the paintball guns that i have owned... it was quite a collection! :-)

Joe

In case you missed my vote the first time, GET A TIPPMAN! I have had good success with Spyders as well though.

190fps is pretty slow... 300 is the legal max. 260 is a reasonable speed IME and is also the most accurate. Obviously common sense is needed so as to refrain from "bunkering" hard. The way paintball was headed towards "speedball" and away from the woods was pretty much why I quit. All flash and no stealth... but if you've got friends and your own land that's great. You'll definitely want to buy extra equipment such as chrono, bottle refiller, scale and rent a large bottle from a welding supply place. Next to paintballs the "air" is the biggest expense.

yeah, i meant 290...

And i used to run the chronograph :oops:

I love speedball, it is a rush. There is nothing better than sprinting to mid field on the siren and madly taking people down. I played hard...

I really liked bunkering with my pump PGP... They didnt see that one coming.

Be safe and have a good time,

Joe

Guest BigWhyteDude

hey to all of you. Finaly something on this forum that i know a good bit about :-D . If i could go back to when i started playing i would have stopped my self from buying that damned stingray II and probly the spyder as well. But right now i would sugest that you goto a pro shop and try out some of the guns that you are interseted in. you might want to look at the bushmaster for a relatively cheap electro marker. or if you want to stay with a mechanical marker mabe look at the new autocockers. Right now i play with one a 2002 .

Hey JoeinCA i guess your a scrawly quick little front player arnt ya :D well im just a big-ol paintdumping back player who covers all you front players. :lol: Im getting ready to go down to World Cup this October. It's gonna be a blast.

well if anybidy wants to buy my spyder shutter let me know.. only reason for sale is i need the money and i upgraded to a diablo turbo :)..

love the gun, shoots wayyyyyyyyyyy faster then my friends Black angel LCD.i might wanna keep the mask but as of know i need the money and ill sell it with the shutter.

to be all honest i like my shutter better then Satan's gun :twisted: ... why? its easier to play with, doesnt always break balls and i never have problems with them..

mike