HybridZ

Anyone running z31 coil with an msd box?? z31 ignitor???

fl327

Just finished the swap into my car, idles a little better, nothing crazy, I just fired up the car for thirty seconds or so and then shut it off.

I am wondering if anyone use this with msd 6 ignition box, im pretty sure it would work ok, just wondering.

Swap was incredibly straight forward, just make sure to grab the coil harness plug with a good length of wire attached when you get one from a jy.

blue from coil plug goes to blue from coil (-)

green from coil plug goes to blk/wht from (+)z31

boom, sucker will fire right up, feels pretty strong too, at least as good as my Accel coil was doing it.

Im wondering how the wiring from the z31 transistor works.

The s130 transistor has two sets of wires, one from ecu and one for coil

The Z31 only has three wires, one I am prettty sure is ground, Im not sure what has to be done here. It looks like you need to splice the two wires into four wires ( two to coil and two out to ecu power) and ground the black wire right?? Im dying to use use the z31 transistor, the coil already saved me a bunch of space, and now the s130t transistor looks really lonely with no coil in the bracket. thanx.

• 2 years later...
Guest nfZ1983

I have just bought a 84 300z and i really like it but it has issues high miles of course and exhaust and it seems to have a miss i am planning on doing ignition this weekend but im a little umm... lets say stupid about th z's and any ignitons anyway to the point I want to do a whole new ignition on the car i would like a msd box but i am wondering about what box to use, and where to start any comments would help thanx

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How to install a z31 ignitor:

blue wire - goes to y/w wire from zxt ecu pin #5

black/white wire - goes to negative side of zxt coil

black - goes to ground

Question:

I did the swap today with a z31 coil on my s30 w/zxt motor, car runs strong and great; however my tach is all over the place with the z31 coil. The tach woks fine with the zxt coil and the z31 ignitor but when I switch to the z31 coil it is all over the place. Any idea? Do I need some kind of resistor for the hotter z31 coil to smooth out the signal to the s30 tach? Thanks.