HybridZ

Assistance in picking a donor car

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone. Its been awhile but its summer and i have my little cash stash to go out and get the donor for the swap. My plan is to drive the car for about a year and get the engine rebuilt to make sure everything is running great. Anyways i found a 1979 camaro with a 305 engine that has 5k on it after a rebuild. The price is very good and the only thing wrong with it is a really crappy interior and a slight knocking sound when its put into reverse (any ideas on what causes this?). The owner was very honest and pointed out the most minute things wrong with the car, no rust at all and very straight except for a small ding which he had to bring to our attention to notice. He is asking 1275 for it and has brought it down because i think everyone that comes to look at it is discouraged by the interior. How does it sound to you guys?

Guest greimann

You will be much happier in the long run if you find a car with a 350. There is much more power potential in those. Once you do your swap, you will be thrilled with 250 - 300 hp, but eventually you will want more, and a 350 will get to 400 hp fairly easily. With a 305, it will be expensive and you will loose low end torque.

I agree with Greimann. You need to find a car with a 350. You will want to do this for the same reason your taking out the straight six. No matter how much money or time you spend on a 305 you will never have the power of a comparable 350! You can find a 350 car for not much less. How much are they asking for the 305 car?

Guest Anonymous

The knocking in reverse is probably loose torque converter bolts, but as the other guys have said, I think you can do alot better for the money you are talking. Look at full-size, they are more likely to have the 350 and be cheaper.

You would probably be a little better off if you find a farm truck somewhere with a 350 that runs good but has a beat up body. I found one complete with motor for 400 bux. That was the way I found my donor. I even drove if from dallas to austin after I bought it. (well, drove it with no brakes, broken windshield, and had to add 2qts tranny fluid every 45 minutes...) but it did run! With the extra 800 bucks, buy a new cam, vortec heads, and rings/bearings and you will have a beast of a motor.

Guest Anonymous

Radtad.. are you from Oregon. I picked up my 73 Monte Carlo (350) with an Edelbrock package for $450.00 and drove it about 2000 miles. Forget those 305 motors. Camaro's are over priced even if they come with a 700 R4. (700R4's are really coming down in price). Saw one at a Garage sale for $150.00. I was recently given a rust bucket GMC with a 350 and still deciding to go get it. Ran across a 4 bolt 350 at a garage sale on " give an offer deal" May go back and offer but I did buy a set of 1.94/1.50 heads for $10.00 from the guy.. What I am saying is wait and look. Why pay big on that Camaro when you can pick up a good running Caprice with the same motor and 700 R4 for $400.00 or less.

I would also try to get a 350. I bought a 72 Suburban with rebuilt TH350 and 80k mile original 350 for $400. I say avoid the 305 unless you can score a TPI car. A 91-92 235hp 5 speed car would be just dandy... Or you can get a 305 for practically nothing.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah i would love to get something old and cheap but unfortunately its my father thats the one making the deals and has the final say in what i get. He thinks getting the datsun was a stupid idea in the first place and decided to take the helm at the final purchase. Anyway I'm alot closer now than I was a year ago and with your encouragement and advice im pressing on. smile.gif