HybridZ

R200 axle fit-HELP

WHP

I did a search and just got confused reading the threads. I have an early 74 hybrid project car and I want to put in a Quaife R200 with CV axles. I have several different gear ratio R200 diffs, all with bolt in halfshaft flanges. I have 2 CV axles from unknown ZX cars, but they have 2 different diameter splined shafts that plug into the diff. I also have the ZXT CV adaptors welded to my 74 outer stub axles.

1) Do all R200 diffs use the same dia. spline axle? (maybe the smaller one came from a R180?) Or is the ZXT the larger one?

2) Can the proper CV axle be put in ANY R200 diff? I thought there was a snap ring to reatain the axle in the diff. Can I just buy ZXT CV shafts and plug them in the diff I have?

3) What is the cheapest source of getting a Quaife installed in my diff?

Please spell out what I need (in simpleton terms) to achieve my objectives. Thanks!

I'll offer some other questions and observations here as well. You stated that:

I have several different gear ratio R200 diffs, all with bolt in halfshaft flanges.
I gather from this that you cannot use the normal R200 "pop-in" axles? This would lead me to believe you have several R180 differentials instead? Did the R200 come with bolt-in flanges similar to the R180?
I have 2 CV axles from unknown ZX cars, but they have 2 different diameter splined shafts that plug into the diff
. The 200SX has an R180 with CV jointed halfshafts that appear, when still under the car, identical to the R200 CV jointed halfshafts. So I wonder if perhaps the splines are different between the two set-ups, and if this were true, then you may have a combination of 200SX and 280ZX Turbo halfshafts, which may explain the spline differences.

My understanding is that any 280ZXT CV jointed halfshaft should fit into any R200. The Quaiffe will muddy the waters somewhat in that I have read where the left and right side input stubs into the differential are reversed from the normal sides. I experienced this with a Torsen type of LSD that I just installed very recently, but I do not know for sure if it was a old Gleason-Torsen and a new Quaiffe. Either way, it was reversed on the input stubs and I had to may hybrid shafts by swapping the stubs, which required new boots being put on. Being the CV jointed shafts are 1/2" difference in length from side to side, this has the potential for one side being a bit too long at full droop (binding) if you do not swap the stubs from one axle to the other as I did.

If your R200(?) does have bolt-in stubs, then my guess would be No, the ZXT shafts will not stay in being there is no cerclip to retain the stub in place. I've seen what appears to be R180 differentials under the 280ZX bodies, but I never knew for sure if they were R180s or simply a differently cased R200. Any answers?

I know the CV axles were removed from 280ZX or ZXT cars. I don't know for sure that what was in the donor cars was original. At the time I didn't know what I was looking for and got these at a JY and the cars are probably gone now. I got a RHS from one car and a LHS from a different one as the boots were torn on the other CV joints. I knew about the different stub lengths but missed the diameter difference. The larger diameter one does fit a R200 from a 200SX turbo that I have laying around. However I want to use my 3.54 R200 and it has bolt in halfshaft flanges for U-jointed halfshafts. I am sure these are R200's as I have numerous diffs R160, R180, and R200. I really would like to avoid swapping ring gears etc. Can anyone give me some advice on how to end up with a Quaife 3.54 R200 with CV axles?

The bad news... I have egg on my face.

The good news... I should have looked closer before posting. ALL my R200 diffs, both u-jointed and CV axled halfshafts are the pop in style.

So now the question is: Where is the best deal on getting a Quaife put in it?

At least I can admit my mistakes, right?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have a similar question, and that is:

How difficult is it to install a Quaife? All the notes I see recommend a skilled professional install it, but I have seen inside differentials and they really dont seem that complicated. Has anyone here installed their own?

It is a typical setting up of the differential gears for proper a proper tooth pattern. The factory manual provides all proper information on how to do this. It is not hard, but may require some side shims that you may not have. Unless there is a cheaper source for these shims, I found Nissan to be quite high priced for them.