HybridZ

383 240z Featured in Sport Compact Car

Guest thinkmonkey

I'm curious and a little confused about the slotting mod for toe adjustment. Is this strictly to adjust for toe of both wheels relative to the chassis?

In other words, this doesn't help for adjusting a toe out or toe in condition?

I wonder if removing a section of the lower rear cross member (behind diff cover) and fitting a threaded rod in there would be a good idea. Combine that with slotted vertical members to gain full toe adjustment. Of course, there's a slight change in caster too.

Hrmm...

Guest Rick Johnson

Yes, you are correct. My slotting mod is the equivalent of turning the front wheels to the left or the right. Both wheels turned together. It just so happened that both of my wheels were pointed to the right causing me to back steer slightly with the front wheels. After I made the adjustment to the rear, the front did not require as much back steer so the wheel "straight ahead" position changed a tiny bit.

The complication of threading the cross member might be more than it is worth. If you have to adjust rear toe individually, you could consider the offsett nylon bushings. These can be adjusted to dial in your toe any way you want it. The only issue is ride harshness. However, I found the rear most control arm bushings to have the least effect on ride quality of any bushing in the car. So if you have to have toe control, this is the place to use the eccentric nylon bushings.

Well I'll have to run out and grab a copy of it. I've been buying SCC and Turbo on and off since starting the motor project with my stepson. I think there is good in both magazines, but I find myself having to re-educate my oldest stepson regularly because of the misprints made in BOTH magazines, as well as Honda Tuner, and Import Performance Magazine. In general they all remind me of the Trucking and MM&FF magazines I also buy. You have to dig through pages and pages of CRAP to get to the few real true nuggets of info. I guess that's why the end up in the library, I mean bathroom.

Congrats Rick! Hope to have my car in a one of these fine publications some day. :roll:

Mike :D