HybridZ

79.99 complete engine sale at Pick a part, YEAHHHHHHHH

fl327

A colleague and I had a field day exercise at the Fremont pick a part today. The one day I go there its a managers special for complete engines, and what do I see before me

82 280-zxt FIVE SPEED!!

he got the head for a project of his, and I got a clean shortblock with complete intake and exhaust manifolds (with newer injectors!!!!) 240mm flywheel, wiring harness, ecu, four 300zx throttle cables, every egi and fuel pump relay in sight, every tps in sight, a zxt distributor, and all asscoiated hardware for...........66.00 (my half after tax and core charge)!!!!!!!!

We did get a bit dirty too, we filled the valve cover full of small parts like relays switches and electric stuff from various nissans, we hid a 260z su intake, bolted a 240sx fan clutch to the turbo motor (they blow more air than any L clutch fan) bolted up the cleanest starter we could find, an ASE rebuilt unit gear reduction zx starter, in the bellows to the afm i hid a disgusting amount of throttle brackets, cables, tps from 6 different cars, injectors from various other turbo cars, and more.

Pulling the engine took us four hours in the hot fremont sun, and it was very very dirty as well, it sucked, I drank two gallons of water in that time. I would have took the t5 as well, but it was stuck in gear and i didnt want to chance it, but I did get the flywheel left on the engine.

The workers were nice to us this time and included the harness and ecu as part of the engine, and didnt ring us up big time for some other parts we bought as well, and we all came out happy.

I just plopped the engine and all that stuff into the back of my 2+2 and head out home with a huge smile on my face, knowing now I have a good spare shortblock to build a future 8ish compression turbo engine with good parts, I have the flywheel to mate with the spec clutch in the mail, and I have enough spare parts to start an army!

Sometimes you win :D

You lucky bastard :lol: . Must have sucked pulling it in the sun with all that dust. Sounds like it was worth it though. Can't beat $66 for everything you got. I went to the north san jose pick and pull to check out what they had. No l28et but there is a turbo VG engine there. I may go back later and pull the turbo. I did get myself a Z31 coil.

turbo ex manifold

turbo and dp(turbo has a rebuild stamp from Vargas diesel in hayward ca, felt ok but was dirty as heck, had to be somewhat recent, all bolts to the turbo and dp were very easy to pop off)

82zxt five speed ecu

wiring harness complete and somewhat lableled.

are pending.

funny part was that I only went to the jy to get a 2+2 flywheel and a pair of 15x7 mesh wheels and hopefully some tires since I cant get tires to last back there :twisted: and ran into my buddy, who wanted a p90 head. We go in and there is a complete zxt five sped???

we both came out with more than we expected, except there were no 15x7 mesh wheels on any datsun or toyota or mazda in the yard.

engine has 220k on it, but when the head came off the pistons looked very good, and it spins extremely easily.

plan is to put engine on a stand (ive never had an engine stand before, im kinda pumped about having a use for one)

Plan is to use arp bolts everywhere i can on the bottom end and possibly forged 8.3-1 pistons, stock bore or a little bigger if it needs to be bored.

steel headgasket and arp head bolts, my current head will go on it if it checks out after being t4ed on after some minor backyard porting and polishing, with new seals and small parts if needed. Im looking for 350hp on this one once its done with great response, near 7k power and the ability to easily swallow a small shot of the jiggity juice on top of 18psi. Im doing some part time work at an engine and tranny rebuild shop in hayward right now, im not sure of myself enough to touch the japanese engines yet (we are where a lot of shops farm out engine and tranny rebuilds) mostly rebuilding v8s and v6 ohv engines, and learning more about the japanese engines everytime i work, which is like two to three days a week and 15 hours tops. my boss even says that the L motor is one of the easiest import engines to rebuild, short of the 2tc and 3tc toyota four cylinders, which are ohv like a v8. Ive done one L motor before, and cant wait to do another one with some real stank up in it!!!!

afshin-if you need anything just yell.

anyone in fremont who can get there in time there is a t5 i left on the ground and threw the driveshaft in the passenger seat, heads up. I have a gut feeling it seized as the reason for the car being in the yard, since I could nto get it to shift, and the clutch hydraulics and clutch were in good shape.