HybridZ

How do you convert a T5 to hycraulic clutch operation?

Guest Ian turbo240

Guest Ian turbo240

Well, I've searched this forum and can't find the answer. I'm actually putting a 5.0 engine and T5 into a Mitz Starion. This should be helpfull for owners of Z's looking to do a SBF swap. Thanks.

Ian

Guest bobs302z

Idont mean to be stupid but what is a Mitz Starion?? Does it have hydraulic clutch setup now ? I used a 34 tilton master cylinder and a wliwood pull slave in mine . I had a bushing made to fitin the hole were calbe went through to help a line slave shaft the just an ajustable nut and ready rod for ajustment the master bolted right in and just neededline between parts were around 200 cdn. If you go to chevy site they use hydrolics of a camaro the works as well .

Addendum to previous post:

if you have reasonable skill at fabrication (welding, cutting, drilling) you can make your own. The clutch fork only needs to move .375 to .5", and you find a pull-type slave cylinder to do it, all you have to do it mount it securely. Or if you want to use a push type slave, mounting is still the biggest issue.

The other option is to use a hydraulic throw out bearing (HTOB) such as the units made by Tilton and Quartermaster. I am using the Tilton unit which consists of P/N 61-601 bearing, 61-612 adapter, and 74-875U clutch master cylinder.

The cool things about the HTOB is that it deletes all the mechanical linkage(no fork), and fits in really tight places. The down sides to the HTOB is the price (master cylinder, hydraulic throw-out bearing, and adapter $436.00), and working on it (the transmission has to be removed for access to the HTOB.

I have had my setup for three years. I have had to work on it twice; both instance were caused by user error. :oops:

Guest Ian turbo240

I wonder if the HTOB from a Ranger Pickup would work. I know that Ford has had problems with them, but it might be cheaper than the Tilton unit. I will look into that. Fabrication is not a problem. I just thought that there might be some Ford vehicle that used a V8 and T5 with hydraulic clutch from the factory. That would make it easy. Wait a minute, did I just say "easy" in a post related to an engine swap?

The car is a Mitsubishi Starion ESIR, aka Chrysler Conquest TSI. These were made from 1983 to 1989. The '88 and '89 were the best ones with 16x8 fronts and 16x9 rears available as an option. They are a car with great potential, if only they didn't have that shit lump of an engine. It came with a 2.6L turbo 4-cylinder. The engines like to crack heads, and the throttle-body injection is unreliable and cannot support higher that about 275hp. The 5.0 should do the trick. I'm shooting for 450hp.

Ian

i have the same setup as Dan- i chose the HTOB as its small and was better for how i mounted the motor WAY back... i dont think where i have located the engine i could have used the fork at all --

the bearing is $$$ but works well-- not the easiest to install as it need clearancing and crap done but works well - pedals a bit firm but i do have a king cobra clutch in it..

there is a place in sandiego called johns mustangs? they sell a mount for a PUSH hydraulic slave which looks nice -- but its $300 i think! and they wont sell the mount without the master and slave -- i was going to try this style on the next car i have here to mount a 5L into with a modified mount like Alsils..